P90X

is this the appropriate place to ask opinions on eating before or after a workout? I've done a some searching... but haven't seen anything to convince me one way or another.

Lots of threads this could fit in!

The answer anytime you see conflicting views is usually that it doesn't matter. Some people have success eating a lot of small meals throughout the day (this keeps our metabolism going a little higher and keeps you out of "food comas") but if you are hitting your macros (calories / day or if you are doing a specific diet things like carbs / day or protein / day), then the timing does not matter. To lose weight you just have to burn more than you take in. Diets and workout routines are just different ways that some people find easier to get that done with.

Probably don't want to eat just before a workout (might cause cramping or other discomfort trying to exercise with a full belly) and right before you go to bed. Other than that, don't worry about it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's been quite a while since i've done p90x. the first time i did it and stuck with it through the first month, but like someone else said, it's the hardest to get through the second month.

same thing happened once i started insanity last summer except i had a pretty good excuse to stop since i was going back to school (new apartment, first time on my own, new school 2 hrs from home), the last thing i had time for was working out.

now that i'm able to manage my time better i'm going to restart insanity, and probably base my diet off of the vegan meal plan from p90x2. i also found some plant protein that is pretty affordable to hopefully help with weight gain (i'm pretty lean and hoping to put on muscle).

is this the appropriate place to ask opinions on eating before or after a workout? I've done a some searching... but haven't seen anything to convince me one way or another.

Probably don't want to eat just before a workout (might cause cramping or other discomfort trying to exercise with a full belly) and right before you go to bed. Other than that, don't worry about it.

I would definitely say eating right before a workout isn't  good idea unless its simple carbs, you'll likely feel bloated/sick, though some people are ok with it. Though if you are doing a long cardio session (more than an hour) or you are working out early in the morning on an empty stomach it might be helpful to have something small.  Some people need to put a little something in their stomach, but not everyone. 

Also, I think its a good idea to have something post workout. Whether you just fit it to work in your normal eating schedule or you add a snack that fits in your overall plan. Some carbs/protein usually are what I've done after long runs.

For overall timing of meals, I definitely don't think it matters SO much, small frequent meals work well to keep you from getting to hungry. I do believe in not eating for an hr/few hours before bed.

now that i'm able to manage my time better i'm going to restart insanity, and probably base my diet off of the vegan meal plan from p90x2. i also found some plant protein that is pretty affordable to hopefully help with weight gain (i'm pretty lean and hoping to put on muscle).

Good luck with you're new plan. Insanity killed my knees, I couldn't keep it up!

Well to someone doing a normal gym workout I would say "if every muscle in your body is sore as hell all the time, you are overtraining, which gonna hurt your progress. The point is to damage your body through workouts, then rest so it can rebuild itself stronger."

P90x sells their "system" though so I doubt you will listen to me over them, cause I obviously don't have a series of DVDs.

Should we just start a regular fitness thread? I don't know.

But, I decided against p90x for the time being. I have been switching between 30 minute sessions of strength training with a kettlebell (7 lbs) and an hour on the treadmill in the morning, I really like it.

I was also looking into buying a small punching bag and rigging it up in my doorframe with a pull up bar. anyone else train with a bag? I would like to get some more definition in my arms and I would REALLY love to punch something. My dad used to box when he was younger... so I know technique is really important if you don't want to hurt yourself. I just don't know where to start.

Boxing is great workout. I weigh 190 pounds with an ongoing ankle issue so a ton of running isn't an option. It's an excellent tool as a way to get your heart pumping but your legs a break when they need it.

As for equipment, what exactly are you looking at buying? Can you post an Amazon link? A speed bag is used mostly stationary (the thing that you see boxer's hitting about 100 times in a minute sometimes) but with a heavy bag (the one that looks like a cylinder) you want to be moving around with it. Standing in a doorway, hitting it, then waiting for it to swing back into the doorframe is not really proper use. You need a couple feet of room around you in a circle.

And for beginners technique, just watch a couple youtube videos. There aren't THAT many ways to throw a punch (straight jab, uppercut, hook covers most of it). Assuming you are focused on the workout, not training for a fight so you don't need a lot more instruction than that.

Wear gloves. Even hitting a softer bag, if you do it enough times you will have bloody knuckles. It happened to me. Stand the correct distance away for each punch. That's the only real safety tips I have. I don't think it's that easy to hurt yourself hitting a bag.

I've never used something like that so it would be hard for me to really fairly judge it. When I hit a heavy bag, I pretend like it is a person, duck some punches, move around, etc. Wedging one in a doorway seems like it would get boring quickly. You would constantly be waiting for it to swing back to you because you are locked into one plane of motion. Just my opinion. When I use one the swing probably covers a six foot diameter circle.

I don't know what you are working with on money and space, but you can get a heavy bag on craigslist for $30 and probably a stand for half price if you were patient. Gym equipment doesn't hold retail value and is constantly being bought and sold. But I wouldn't say "Don't buy this" if you think it is what works for you.

I think that is an RCP90, the gun in Goldeneye N64 that would fire a bazillion shots a minute. I can't talk about that game cause it will make me pull out my N64 and beat it for the 10th time.

I don't know what the first pic is.

P90 pickup. I love those things.

I think I need to start something like this. Went vegetarian back in 2011 and lost a ton of weight but I'm looking to get in shape and shed off whats left. I go running often but that alone won't cut it.

so I ended up doing the doorway punching bag thing. It actually works pretty good. I used one of the pull up bars that has handles sticking out vertically so that helps keep the bag more stable. I don't get the benefit of moving all the way around the bag but a good 30 min session got my heart rate up pretty fast. I set it up facing my hallway so I could jog down to the end of it and back. Constant movement works well for me. I would suggest it only if you are super limited on space like I am.

I mean getting a six pack, yes.  Have a good strong core, no.

Was this directed at what I said? Squatting, deadlifting, and benching do more to help you on the way to getting abs than crunches. Heavy weight moved * longer distances = more work done = more calories burned. Crunches are a little bit of weight moved over a short distance. 

Or the same for running if you are cardio focused.

Dudes with 8 packs have insanely low body fat, which makes their abs show through. It's not because they do a million crunches a day. 10 minutes, 2 times a week is plenty. It's not that doing more is really harmful, it's that you should be focusing on exercises that have a bigger impact on your body fat if you want abs.

As a dietician, what is your viewpoint on a ketogenic diet? Specifically, the claims here:

http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html

I've been doing a "balanced" diet when I am lifting heavy (need the carbs for performance) and keto diet when I am trying to slim down. I'm thinking the next time I keto I am going to go without red meat, just to err a little on the side of caution (which would mean a diet consisting of fibrous veggies, cheese, nuts, chicken, and fish mostly...no sugary fruits / veggies, pastas or bread).

I know this was a little while ago, but I have been going through this site, and reading all of the linked articles. It is taking me a lot of time to go through it all, which is good because I need a distraction right now.  Just wondering, when you follow it, how did you feel? Like I said I'm still reading all about it, especially the scientific studies to try to determine its efficacy, etc. But in terms of the actual diet it says: 

"The ideal macro-nutrient ketogenic ratio is this: 65% of your calories should come from fats 30% of your calories should come from proteins 5% of your calories should come from fibrous carbohydrates"

There was a period where I was experimenting with macro-nutrient distribution ranges. I was trying to keep my carbs <20%, fats 50% and protein 30% and I was drained all the time, especially during my runs. Also, did you see any changes in your blood chemistry as in HDL, LDL, A1c, etc? Just wondering..