P90X

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need some simple things like a chin up bar (or something else that will do the trick). Nothing prohibitively expensive. The videos are all over the internet.

It's a really good workout for someone who has picked up flab and wants to cut down. At some point, you will hit a wall with it and will want to switch to strength training with barbells to continue progressing.

But that's getting ahead of the point. Good way to lose fat.

Yeah it's a set of DVDs with a 90 day workout schedule as well as a nutrition book that has dietary "guidelines". Only equipment I use is a exercise mat, pull up bar and resistance bands.

When I do it I'm pretty strict on diet and work outs, the first time I did it I lost 20lbs overall but 30lbs of fat since you gain muscle as you shred the fat.

Personally I think it's a excellent program.

Some of that is spin. If you are on a calorie deficit diet, you aren't going to be packing on muscle, unless you really have no muscle on your body and this is your first time working out in a long time.

In reality, most people don't have a sense of their lean body mass and body fat percentages. It's about the same amount of muscle, it just looks bigger without the fat covering it. You cando more push ups and pull ups because you aren't carrying the spare tire around.

Guys just buy more DVDs when it is sold to them as "get bigger" than "drop weight".

Everyone I know who used it had great results. The biggest problem everyone had was making it past the second month.

You really gotta commit to 90 days, then switch it up. If you are thinking you have to go on with it indefinitely, it's easier to give up. If someone is 3 or 4 hundred pounds, they might want to rest for a week and then go right back into the program. That's extreme obesity, not a someone getting flabby, though.

Diet really well, lot of cardio with some lighter strength training and you can drop pounds really fast (2 or 3 pounds per week for 12 weeks, maybe more for people who are really overweight).

There are just way more people out there who are overweight than underweight. So the initial effect is great for the majority. What that workout doesn't tell you is that once you are to a reasonable weight (starting to see ab definition would be a good sign you are there, or maybe that you are able to run 5 miles without dying), then the best thing you can do is eat a good amount of calories and do a routine focused on compound lifting with free weights (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, curls or chin-ups) 3 or 4 times a week, which is sustainable and enjoyable for most. You don't have to soak your shirt in sweat everyday to be fit. As you pick up some fat, you switch back to a cardio routine.

is this geared more toward men trying to build muscle? I've been toying with the idea of trying something like this in my downtime but only for toning and weight loss.

Plus I can only do about 5-6 pull ups. I'm weak.

Not at all Madie, they even have a "lean" plan that focuses mostly on cardio. Also with the pull ups there is a variation to use resistance bands instead which is what I do.

With all the strength training excercises you can use it to burn fat instead of build muscle by doing higher reps at a lower weight.

is this geared more toward men trying to build muscle? I've been toying with the idea of trying something like this in my downtime but only for toning and weight loss.

Plus I can only do about 5-6 pull ups. I'm weak.

As Ian said, yes.

5 pull ups for a girl is very good.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/335764-how-many-pull-ups-should-i-be-able-to-do/

As Ian said, yes.

5 pull ups for a girl is very good.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/335764-how-many-pull-ups-should-i-be-able-to-do/

wow!! I guess I was judging based on what I used to be able to do back in high school. But back then I was super active with sports and was also in weight lifting class for volleyball. I'd give anything to go back to that. Best shape of my life.

Not at all Madie, they even have a "lean" plan that focuses mostly on cardio. Also with the pull ups there is a variation to use resistance bands instead which is what I do.

With all the strength training excercises you can use it to burn fat instead of build muscle by doing higher reps at a lower weight.

thanks a lot. I already have resistance bands... so I'm definitely going to look into the lean plan.

its all the same dvd set but different worksout are used, for example this is the classic phase 1

chest & back, ab ripper x

plyometrics

shoulders & arms, ab ripper x

yoga x

legs & back, ab ripper x

kenpo x

rest or x stretch

and this is phase 1 for lean

core synergenistics

cardio x

shoulders & arms, ab ripper x

yoga x

legs & back, ab ripper x

kenpo x

so very similar just a little less strength training and a lil more cardio workouts

It's not a HUGE difference either way but pull-ups would be better for a female than chin-ups (pull-ups your palms face away, chin-ups they face towards you). Both work out several muscles but the chin-up works the bicep more while the pull-up is more balanced across the back and shoulders.

is this geared more toward men trying to build muscle? I've been toying with the idea of trying something like this in my downtime but only for toning and weight loss.Plus I can only do about 5-6 pull ups. I'm weak.

Just wanted to throw my two cents in here. Madie, I am a girl and I have done p90x in the past (not the lean plan). I would definitely say when I did it, I saw a lot more muscle definition, not a huge change in weight. More recently I did crossfit for about 4 months, and I would say that gave way more strength and definition in a much quicker time frame. Crossfit is cool because you do it with other people, I was lucky because the owner of my crossfit gym is super into heavy metal /old school punk/ska/local nj music so it was a cool environment. I would say (as a girl) it really depends on what your goals are though. It you want overall fitness, muscle tone/definition, p90x (if you can do the whole work out with your television thing) or crossfit (though it’s kind of pricey) are both great options. If your goal is weight loss though, I think cardio at least 5 x a week and weight training 2 x a week is the best. I am also really into running marathons and when I am training for one, I tend to drop weight quickly.

Like a few other people have said though, it’s mostly diet. No matter how much exercise you do, if your diet isn’t clean, you won’t get to your fitness goals. As a Registered Dietitian (though a fairly new one) I have seen a lot of people struggle with their weight, and it’s diet about 95% of the time. That being said, there is a lot of interesting research right now about weight loss and hormones. I would say: make sure you get enough vitamin D and fish oil, limit refined starches, get enough resistant starches, eat a ton of vegetables, include lean protein in all your meals, and drink A LOT of water.

Just my opinion though…

As a dietician, what is your viewpoint on a ketogenic diet? Specifically, the claims here:

http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html

I've been doing a "balanced" diet when I am lifting heavy (need the carbs for performance) and keto diet when I am trying to slim down. I'm thinking the next time I keto I am going to go without red meat, just to err a little on the side of caution (which would mean a diet consisting of fibrous veggies, cheese, nuts, chicken, and fish mostly...no sugary fruits / veggies, pastas or bread).

So I wrote my thoughts on paleo/ketosis diets other on the paleo thread. I think it'd be repetitive to copy it here.  I haven't checked out that link yet (long day so far) but I will and let you know what I think.  I think what you are doing seems on point.  I definitely don't think a ketosis diet (from what I know about them) is good for the long run and overall health.  

I really agree with eliminating or at least minimizing red meat.  I haven't eaten meat yet this year, though I continue to eat lots of fish.  Definitely what you mentioned- fibrous veggies, low fat dairy, nuts, fish etc is what I really think is best for overall health. I also don't think you have to eliminate fruits/starchy veggies/grains entirely.  If you don't miss then, then fine.  But I think starchy veggies, fruits, and whole grains  have a lot of great benefits (vitamins/minerals/antioxidants) and don't need to be entirely ruled out, perhaps just minimized. 

ive found that kettle bell exercises worked best for losing weight...

there is a dvd series called kettleworx that has worked amazing for me and a couple people i work with

i lost over 20 lbs in about 3 months using kettleworx and eating a fairly strict diet and the program only calls for 3 15 minute workouts a week..its pretty amazing stuff

i highly reccomend it

is this the appropriate place to ask opinions on eating before or after a workout? I've done a some searching... but haven't seen anything to convince me one way or another.