VPI Scout Question

Its not my Scout.

Oh crap...that's right.  My bad...lack of sleep is getting the best of me today.

Anyhow, for the OP:

1)  Get the VPI center weight and ring when you can.  Huge difference in sound.  Bigger, stable bass...better soundstage and increase in image focus.  You simply CANNOT go wrong.  Warped vinyl is not an issue for the most part, unless the vinyl has one of those weird warps.

2)  Change out the stock VPI feet for some mapleshade brass footers or Edensound brass ones.

3) Get a maple platform under the whole table motor assembly.  Use isoblocks UNDER the maple platform.  The thicker the platform, the better.

You will be astounded at the differences in sound you will get from these tweaks.

Oh crap...that's right.  My bad...lack of sleep is getting the best of me today.

Anyhow, for the OP:

1)  Get the VPI center weight and ring when you can.  Huge difference in sound.  Bigger, stable bass...better soundstage and increase in image focus.  You simply CANNOT go wrong.  Warped vinyl is not an issue for the most part, unless the vinyl has one of those weird warps.

2)  Change out the stock VPI feet for some mapleshade brass footers or Edensound brass ones.

3) Get a maple platform under the whole table motor assembly.  Use isoblocks UNDER the maple platform.  The thicker the platform, the better.

You will be astounded at the differences in sound you will get from these tweaks.

I have the Scout with the acrylic platter. I will check those upgrades out. Thanks

Actually, that's one of the things I really like about the VPI tables.  You can choose to upgrade at your own pace and willingness.  Sure, you can just buy a turntable that is fully decked out from the get go.  But there is joy in the learning and appreciating of differences upgrades make.

That "journey" of upgrades, actually educates you of how these things come together and make a better whole.  I've learnt a lot in my own VPI journey.

Of course enjoy your VPI table all along every moment...that IS the point :) 

Thanks ajxd.  Actually, my room is much worse now...I've been playing around with lots of relocation, a full system build up (for my uncle) and buying tons of records!  No way I'm posting my setup without the room getting sorted out. :)

Big changes in the analog rig.  Kubala Sosna Elation RCA for phono cable, EAR 324 phono stage, Kubala Sosna Emotions (all balanced XLR) for phono to preamp, preamp to amp and speaker cable as well.  Also changed out the amplifier to an EAR 890.  Also bought two new cartridges...a Jan Allaerts MC1B and a Van Den Hul Grasshopper III GLA.

Your setup in your avatar looks DREAMY clean to me!

Actually, that's one of the things I really like about the VPI tables.  You can choose to upgrade at your own pace and willingness.  Sure, you can just buy a turntable that is fully decked out from the get go.  But there is joy in the learning and appreciating of differences upgrades make.

That "journey" of upgrades, actually educates you of how these things come together and make a better whole.  I've learnt a lot in my own VPI journey.

This is why I bought the Scout. It allows me to upgrade at my own pace. It already is a great turntable, so I can enjoy it now and add little upgrades along the way.

I agree with you on the possible education provided by stepping up and tweaking, etc. I learned a lot by upgrading and tweaking my entire setup twice in the last three years. I guess it was just the delivery and practicality of your post that rubbed my the wrong way. Even so, I wasn't saying what I said to be rude, just more of a reassurance that the OP could still enjoy his $1400 turntable with out spending another $1000. No worries. I can tell you really enjoy audio and music.

I agree with you on the possible education provided by stepping up and tweaking, etc. I learned a lot by upgrading and tweaking my entire setup twice in the last three years. I guess it was just the delivery and practicality of your post that rubbed my the wrong way. Even so, I wasn't saying what I said to be rude, just more of a reassurance that the OP could still enjoy his $1400 turntable with out spending another $1000. No worries. I can tell you really enjoy audio and music.

Oh it's all good my friend.  Many times, thoughts, mentalities and meanings get easily lost in forum posts.  Yes, I absolutely LOVE music and ways of getting closer to it as do most of us.  I'm listening to the Pink Moon vinyl box set right now....unbelievably good!  Just a warm, analog, heartfelt listening experience.  Setting up a system properly really engages you in the whole experience.

Since I've gotten into this hobby, the best, most productive and eye-opening thing I've done is experiment.  And I'm not even talking about upgrades and tweaks ... although I've done plenty of that as well.

In other words, take some time to really explore your equipment, understand how it works and how different setups affect the overall sound.  Play around with different alignment protractors.  Think you have the proper VTA?  Well try it tail up / tail down and listen to how it affects the bass, midrange and highs.  Make minor tracking force adjustments and note the differences.  Do you have a suspended turntable?  Tune the springs so they're more / less bouncy.  How about a silicon damped unipivot tonearm?  Try with with no fluid.  Try it with the cup half full.  Try it completely full.  Put your turntable on a slab of granite.  Build a wall shelf.  Build a sandbox.  Suspend it from the ceiling. Bla bla bla, you get the idea.

If you gave me $1000 and told me to put it toward upgrading my turntable, I could burn through that shit in about ten minutes.  But there's so many things you can mess around with for free, and not only is it fun, but it will give you an entirely new understanding of the synergy that exists between a turntable and its many parts.

Same thing goes for the rest of your equipment.  Hell, this afternoon I spent two hours adjusting the gain on my preamp and cartridge loading at 47, 62, 100, 300 and 500 ohms.  And at the end of the day, after all that testing, I decided that I liked it where I had originally set it.  Still, it was fun screw around and listen to how load impedance changed the sound.

I couldn't find anything right away. After I really looked at it again, under the platter there is a tiny scratch on the plinth top. The platter covers it and no one would ever know. I can't see anything else wrong.

Thanks, I'm gonna pull the trigger in about a week. Just need to decide on a cart I'm either gonna get the ortofon 2m bronze or the dynavector 10x5.