VPI Scout Question

I think that it really boils down to two simple questions:

1.  How good is the rest of your gear?

2.  How attuned are you to ever-so-subtle resonant changes in your turntable's tonearm?

If your response to both is "not very" then I would say go ahead and buy the used Scout.  If your answer is "very" then by all means, hold out for the upgraded JMW-9T.

Bottom line is that VPI is a great company that makes great turntables.  Did they improve upon the JMW-9 enough to warrant the extra $800?   That's not really a fair question since we're also comparing a new turntable with a used one, but I have a feeling that unless you're "Super-Serious Audiophile Guy," you won't notice.

Now as to whether or not a used Scout is worth $1000, it sounds about right.  You should do your research on that though.  Also, you might want to consider the Traveler, which is near that price range new and has been getting really good reviews.

I think that it really boils down to two simple questions:

1. How good is the rest of your gear?

2. How attuned are you to ever-so-subtle resonant changes in your turntable's tonearm?

If your response to both is "not very" then I would say go ahead and buy the used Scout. If your answer is "very" then by all means, hold out for the upgraded JMW-9T.

Bottom line is that VPI is a great company that makes great turntables. Did they improve upon the JMW-9 enough to warrant the extra $800? That's not really a fair question since we're also comparing a new turntable with a used one, but I have a feeling that unless you're "Super-Serious Audiophile Guy," you won't notice.

Now as to whether or not a used Scout is worth $1000, it sounds about right. You should do your research on that though. Also, you might want to consider the Traveler, which is near that price range new and has been getting really good reviews.

I am leaning towards the used Scout, but also have noticed the traveler. I'm not a "Super-Serious Audiophile Guy" and I don't have the greatest setup now, but I want a table that I can keep forever and have the ability to upgrade as I go. That is why I'm interested in the Scout.

Welcome to the money pit!  Plan on spending the next couple of years buying / experimenting / swapping gear that matches the level of the Scout.  It's the curse of the audiophile.  It's also really fun, if you're into that sort of thing.

If it were me, I'd consider a Dynavector 10x5, Audio Technica AT33EV, Grado Sonata or Denon DL-103R.  Except for the Grado, they're all a couple hundred below the top of your price range, but very capable performers that should give you a good push in the right direction ... a steady platform, if you will, from which you can upgrade later on.

The reason why I'd keep my cart choice around the $400 range is because I would also want to start saving my money for a better phono stage.  The Cambridge 640 is a good budget / entry-level preamp, but you're definitely going to want to upgrade in the future as it will undoubtedly be one of the weaker links in your system.

Look at us spending your money for you.  How nice!

So the guy who was going to sell me the Scout flaked out on me. After thinking about it, this might be better. I'm still going to get a Scout, but now it will be new. I can get a B stock for $1400, or a new with a Dynavector 20X2MM Special for $2400. So the questions are, anyone have any issue with B stock, or it the new with the awesome cart a better deal? A B stock with the 10X5 would run $1800. Is the 20X2MM worth the extra $600?

Hmmm. I say go for the b stock (what is wrong with B stock? Is it purely cosmetic flaws?) and the 10x5. Then upgrade other things around it, like the preamp, your inegrated/pre&power and speakers. Then look at an upgraded cart. Just my opinion. But if you want to go all out then do it. Just know that the turntable and cart will be SERIOUSLY outperforming the rest of the chain and you'll be using and wearing it without getting everything it's putting out.

Hmmm. I say go for the b stock (what is wrong with B stock? Is it purely cosmetic flaws?) and the 10x5. Then upgrade other things around it, like the preamp, your inegrated/pre&power and speakers. Then look at an upgraded cart. Just my opinion. But if you want to go all out then do it. Just know that the turntable and cart will be SERIOUSLY outperforming the rest of the chain and you'll be using and wearing it without getting everything it's putting out.

That's what I'm thinking now. I can get the B Stock Scout, 10X5, and a Jolida JD-9 for the same as the Scout with the 20X2MM Special. What are your thoughts on the Jolida?

• 3 weeks later...