Austerity

It's necessary. Force it on the public so both sides can point fingers at each other and say "there was nothing I could do", then pass something that is a little more palatable in the coming weeks or months and claim a win.

I am one of probably maybe a couple hundred people that will be hired by the department of defense this year after I finish up my PhD in April. They have been paying for my school so I don't have a choice, have to work it off and am exempt from the hiring freeze. I'm cool with the furloughs. No wife or kids or anything, I could make my house payment and live on under $20k a year, and I'll make much more than that even on a 4 day work week. I'll take the extra day off a week.

I can see how that would be a much bigger problem for people in a different financial situation, though.

I was hoping to get a co-op with the NLRB this summer/fall/winter, but its looking like thats not going to be an option because of this.  DOL is getting hit pretty hard, I dont know if our program will get crushed, but ive heard a number of WIA-funded programs may just stop existing. 

I try and spin my situation as a good thing -- If I come in with a small group of people, in a few years there are going to be a lot of people retiring out of higher posts but a small group of people with the right level of job experience to take their place (kinda analogous to coming into the NFL in a series of years where there are very weak draft classes).

Social security is fucked anyways. I wouldn't mind if they just closed the bank account and did away with it sooner.

I was hoping to get a co-op with the NLRB this summer/fall/winter, but its looking like thats not going to be an option because of this.  DOL is getting hit pretty hard, I dont know if our program will get crushed, but ive heard a number of WIA-funded programs may just stop existing. 

There's kinda this thing in business where companies complain like crazy about higher taxes and how they are going to have to lay people off, close stores, etc. Then when they happen, businesses just adapt and things go along as usual. Do you know anyone who has lost their job since the new year because the payroll tax went up?

So the point is kinda a Jeff Goldbloom in Jurassic Park "life finds a way" thing. People shout from the rooftops about how terrible a cut is but they find a way to limit the damage and hopefully not let too many people go. I don't think it will be as bad as expected.

I kinda think the defense industry is screwed, though. They are taking the hardest cut and there is no way to skimp and get by when designing a jet engine or a naval warship. Going to be complete upheaval of that world.

Nope. There is a mayor (who is decent) but powerless to make a change because of the city counsel (who are retarded).

State offered to lease Belle Isle for 30 years and turn it into a state park for $1 billion (instead of the destitute place for late night drug deals it currently is). City counsel voted it down. They have this "we are a strong black community and no white people are going to tell us what to do" attitude. That was a win-win for everyone.

So now the Governor is bringing in someone to slash and cut to get things straight who doesn't have to listen to city counsel. I'm hesitant to call it a "good" thing but it was so sorely needed that I am happy it finally happened.

Dumbness all around.

Anyone with a serious understanding of macro should know we're not in a position for austerity... see: UK.  But hey, inflation is right around the corner! Like it's been for the last 5 years apparently.

It drives me crazy how poorly-informed people bite on the economic lies that are spouted out all over.