sound issue (receiver)

Since you get the sound by switching to mono, the output stages seem to be fine. So it's a problem with the preamp section.

Did it happen recently? Does the sound go in and out if you wiggle te volume or source selector knobs a bit? If yes, most likely oxidation, loose connections or problematic resistors (volume knob - depends on the type).

If not, does the sound go in and out with louder, bass heavy signal (this is dangerous to test if you don't know the limits of your equipment)? If yes, it's a bad capacitor/capacitors. They will have to be replaced. If not, it can be a dead capacitor, resistor, transistor or any combination of the above.

Also, if the problem is only there with one input, it can be a problem with the input connector wiring, or the input selector.

In any case, it has to be opened an serviced. If you know what you're doing you can open it and do it yourself, if not, don't.

• 1 month later...

That's very weird, as I have a very similar problem.

When playing mono LP's, my system sounds just fine.

Things get wonky when I play stereo LP's. Any musician mic'd in the right channel will have very low volume and sound like he's playing from way back in the room. When I hit the "mono" button on my pre-amp, it sounds just fine and everything plays balanced.

I thought it may be a mis-tracking issue with my turntable, but when I plug headphones into my preamp, everything sounds just fine and balanced. It's only when playing through speakers that the volume is low on one channel. 

I swapped channels from my preamp to power amp, and the right channel information (now playing in left channel) sounds just fine, but left channel information (playing in right channel) sounds low in the mix.

Somehow, my preamp is having an issue with a stereo image on the right channel when played through my speakers. Input seems fine, since it sounds great out of my headphones. The power amp and speakers are fine, since it sounds just fine when I swap the channels, or play in mono. The issue is specifically with the preamp transmitting stereo information out of the speaker output it seems (that is somehow bypassed when switched to mono mode, or playing mono recordings). Anyone ever run into a similar problem?

There's absolutely no way that it's a problem with the power amp if it works perfectly fine when switched to mono.

I'd have to see the pre-amp circuit to be able to give an estimate on where the problem might be, but it's best to get it serviced. It can be as simple as a bad solder on the output connector, but it's impossible to determine the source of the problem with the information given.

There's absolutely no way that it's a problem with the power amp if it works perfectly fine when switched to mono.

I'd have to see the pre-amp circuit to be able to give an estimate on where the problem might be, but it's best to get it serviced. It can be as simple as a bad solder on the output connector, but it's impossible to determine the source of the problem with the information given.

It depends on how the preamp circuit works, but assuming the circuit mixes both left and right signals and then feeds that combined signal to both left and right sides of the power amp, there would be no way it would be an issue with the output connector feeding the power amp since that apparently works.  The reality is, switching to mono probably just masks the problem that the output on the otherside is low because the other channel is overpowering it.  So that would indicate that it's a problem with a bad op amp (assuming it's solid state) or a preamp tube (on the off chance it might be tube) in the preamp on that channel.  But it works fine with headphones, which indicates that the preamp circuit is functioning properly (unless the headphone circuit is complete separate). 

But you're right, there isn't enough information.  We don't even know anything about the system.  Is it tube or solid state?  Is it integrated or separates?  Is he using an external headphone amp? 

Yeah you're right, the output connector is out of the question as well, don't know how I missed that. That just leaves the circuitry between after the headphone section and the channel mix section. No idea how that's even possible, all of the designs I've seen so far have the former after the latter. I haven't seen many, but still, now I'm intrigued and need to know!

I doubt questhate is coming back though, so I'll be left wondering...

Thanks for the responses, guys. I had a buddy come over to take a look over the weekend. 

The issue ended up being with the power amp afterall. Apparently, the switch to put the amp into "bridge" mode got faulty somehow so the amp was running in "bridge mode" no matter what setting the switch was on. That explains why it sounded okay in mono mode, or with mono recordings, but any sort of stereo image was throwing things out of whack. 

Anyway, glad to have sorted that out. I was having a conniption for a minute there.