Google Play Music + YouTube Music Key

Only band I havent been able to find is mineral so far

Occasionally there is a band missing or sometimes a specific release. The catalog is not all-encompassing, but neither are most of the other services.

But the simple fix is just to upload your Mineral stuff to your Google Music cloud and presto!

Occasionally there is a band missing or sometimes a specific release. The catalog is not all-encompassing, but neither are most of the other services.

But the simple fix is just to upload your Mineral stuff to your Google Music cloud and presto!

This is true, aalthough I feel Google probably has the means to have a bigger more obscure library then some other services. I can usually find 8/10 random recommended bands. I have Mineral in my library, but I forgot I uploaded it myself lol.

This is true, aalthough I feel Google probably has the means to have a bigger more obscure library then some other services. I can usually find 8/10 random recommended bands. I have Mineral in my library, but I forgot I uploaded it myself lol.

Yes, the definitely have the means, but it is also a matter of certain bands and labels being willing to opt into whatever their revenue deal is.  I know certain bands, like Screeching Weasel (Ben Weasel), have withheld large parts of their catalog from these types of streaming services due to the very low reimbursement they offer.

I think most artists and labels will ultimately cave to these services, cause they really are missing out on potential revenue.  Honestly, isn't a band like Mineral missing out on money by not being in there(i.e., they are not forcing people to go buy the album by holding out)?  

Anyway, 7.99 a month is a good price for (nearly) unlimited music, albeit compressed unlimited music.  Whether or not the artists are getting rich off it these services is another matter, but we are long into the era of piracy and I think this offers at least some decent compromise.

thing is I dont own any mineral CD's anymore, I sold a vast majority of my CD's years ago when I stopped listening to them.  I also dont have any Mineral MP3's anymore since the harddrive I stored everything on died.  so google play has been amazing since I can just download everything I want onto my phone and not have to worry about it.  unless its Mineral.  

• 6 months later...

So with this new YouTube Music Key integration, I'm not seeing any new features you couldn't do with their party YouTube apps like Viral Pro. Would anyone actually download music from YouTube to their devices? I'll queue up a user made playlist or 'radio station' every now and again while driving or nothing into a genre (goddamn Witchhouse, or Newgaze) but I feel like these features are being pushed really hard on both applications, and more often than not I know exactly what I want to listen to. Any added new features are welcome, but I feel like this isn't anything groundbreaking or too much different then what we already had.

(http://lifehacker.com/whats-the-point-of-youtube-music-key-1662612843)

Anyone else lukewarm on this?

After spending sometime with it I like it more than I anticipated. For example, I love the Sunset Overdrive OST but didn't feel like making a playlist which would be missing original music from the game. Sure enough someone on YouTube had already compiled a playlist with all the featured songs and original music ripped from the game. Another good experience was on Thanksgiving. My wife and I love popular hiphop (more common on Vine videos), queuing up a user-generated Young Thug related playlist had us set for the evening. I feel like people are more prone to create YouTube playlists opposed to Google Play Music playlists (although they are decent, they're not always up to date especially with the latest pop culture music).

It's a welcome add, I wouldn't have paid extra for it but I like it having the extra features cooked directly into YouTube.