Sharper Image TSI-2005-MTT Vimyl to mp3

Hi,

I recently purchased Sharper Image's TSI-2005-MTT portable record player. The sound quality is great for the price I paid. Yesterday I tried the vinyl to mp3 via USB feature for the first time. Overall I'm pleased with the output, though I did see the sound was clipping on the low end on multiple artists at around -5.0 db (high end looks perfect). Does anyone have any suggestionson how to overcome the clipping, or know if this might be a limitation of the hardware? I'm using Audacity on a 2007 MacBook as the Receiving device.

Thanks for any assistance,

Levi

I have to admit, I have no real solution to your problem, just wanted to hear how bad this actually sounds.

To my surprise, it is not AS bad as I expected, but I still see absolutely no reasoning whatsoever for anyone doing this. Sure you cannot enjoy in actually listening to this, can you? Is the idea of downloading a digital version of a record you bought really worse on your conscience than the sound of this on your ears?

If it comes across like I'm being a dick, it honestly isn't my intention, I would just like to hear the other side of things, at least try to understand why someone would go through the trouble of recording this on that exact equipment.

For example a youtube link of the second clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPBuUqNrjW8

Can you honestly say that you enjoy the first one more, because it isn't downloaded? Putting aside the clipping on the bottom end.

Haha you are right I am being a dork about it. I try to avoid listening to music on YouTube unless I absolutely have no other option because I don't like the lower sound quality. Yet here I am ripping a record that is beat the hell up. I guess the part of the story missing is the sentimental aspect - I got the record while vacationing in Hong Kong with my fiancé. Believe it or not, the merchant I bought the record from had two copies of the record and this was the better of the two. Anyway, I am sure in the case of this particular record having a complete low end would in no way make it sound better - I'm just being a nerd.

-Levi

Man that's rare, usually people completely lose it in scenarios like this one here on VC, so thanks for being cool about it and giving a straight answer.

I kind of understand it I guess. Though I don't know if you often buy records, or more as a novelty here and there. Not that there's anything wrong with the second one, but if you are even slightly serious about buying vinyl and would use records as a common listening medium, you really should look into getting rid of your player and buying something worthwhile. There's much more to experience, even with beat up records like the one in the second clip.