PO: Vista Chino - Peace (formerly Kyuss Lives)

Even though I've been a huge Kyuss fan since the early 90s I found this album to be a bit disappointing.  I was expecting more but I probably should have lowered these expectations since Homme isn't in the mix.

This is definitely not a Kyuss album per se, even though this band is meant to be a Kyuss resurrection. It really feels like a different, albeit quite similar, beast. I'm a pretty big Kyuss fan and I've only recently been able to appreciate them mostly because I would have never given them a chance (and didn't) in my formative music appreciating years for various reasons, some stupid and some I can still identify with to some degree. I just wasn't in the right place for it. Now that I am I definitely love most of the Kyuss catalog. There are a few tracks that have some lyrics that are just so dumb I can't get behind them. A terrible lyrics can be a deal breaker for me sometimes but Peace absolutely slays on all levels. There's not a single detestable line on the album and the music gives you everything you could have gotten from a Kyuss album and more, I think. Plus, it actually feels much "bigger" than the Kyuss records which I'm sure is due to being mastered a bit louder than it needs to be but it really gives it breadth and an almost suffocating feeling, though euphorically suffocating. I love engrossing myself in this album. It really hit the spot for me. It took a bit of time for it to grow but not nearly as much time as it could have for me to be as into it as I am. There's just so much awesome. I can't get over it.

I'm glad to see some more support! I really can't wait to see them live. I wasn't as in the loop as I should have been when they came to Chicago as Kyuss Lives! a while back so I'm dying to see them now and I hope their Big Day Out set is filmed pro-shot and televised so it can be on YouTube ASAP.