The Justice League.

So you are just trying to pick up some stories but not collect and on a low budget?

You can obtain ebooks by the usual means. Another option, even though it sounds silly, watch the justice league cartoon on Netflix. It's like a comic that reads to you. Not sure if the JL one is any good but I do know you could learn many of the crucial X-men stories from that cartoon and it was pretty damn cool.

I would recommend Tower of Babel. You can pick it up in a trade. Probably one of the best Justice League stories. Also Kingdom Come is really good.

This. And Kingdom Come is probably my all time favorite graphic novel. I liked the first arc of the "New 52" JL as well, but it's not going to really serve someone looking for a meaty story.

The Tower of Babel trade is like $75+ now.
I was only able to read it because my library has a copy of it.
The new 52 stuff is pretty rad and is really easy to come by in individuals or in the much cheaper trades.
The Throne of Atlantis arch was really sweet too.

If you're lucky enough to have a library that carries comics just grab a few and go for it.

If you're a Batman fan to begin with it's totally worth your time/effort.
His cynicism works wonders in comparison to Superman's idealism.

As with starting any other series that is as old as JL, you just sort of have to dive in.
Tower of Babel, Identity Crisis, etc are all classic arcs though.