looking for the best quality turntable for under $100

You might be ok, time willing, to go to a thrift shop or Salvation Army type place. This past week I ran by my local Salvation Army joint and they had a kenwood, and a technics and fisher all for sale for 5- $20. The technics and kenwood were unfortunately gone by the time I got there the next day, but I picked up the fisher, a nice receiver and nice pair of speakers for my nephew who wants to start collecting for $45 total.

Also, read all of Slinch's info here he was kind enough to put together:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88504-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-hi%E2%80%93fi/#entry151289

Weirdness.. when I click above link, I go to the first page briefly, then it turns into page 4 of the NIN Ghosts thread/ AM I the only one?

Quality turntable under 100?

Better start hitting the estate sales.  Look for technics, pioneer, marantz, yamaha, kenwood.  Look for heavy build, an S-shaped tonearm and make sure they have a counterweight.  These companies also made some plastic crap in the mid 80s so be able to differentiate.

Also shopgoodwill.com will have some decent turntables up for auction usually.  I've seen a lot of technics SL-D2's come up there recently.

Weirdness.. when I click above link, I go to the first page briefly, then it turns into page 4 of the NIN Ghosts thread/ AM I the only one?

After I posted that link I asked Shitty Rambo to sticky the hi fi thread. Maybe the site has some absolute number it assigns to threads, which is altered when the thread is stickied. Gotta be the root cause though.