Kendrick may have just started a rap revolution

So I listened...but not sure why all the hype is about? What am I missing?

he just name drops a bunch of rappers, even ones that are on the song with him.

claims he is the king of east and west coast. basically it just seems like hes trying to raise the bar and instigate some friendly competition.

he just name drops a bunch of rappers, even ones that are on the song with him.

claims he is the king of east and west coast. basically it just seems like hes trying to raise the bar and instigate some friendly competition.

Rappers have rap battles, have shot each other, and frequently talk about being the best there is. It's always been an outwardly competitive genre. I love Kendrick but that verse is not going to change anything for anyone.

Jay Z's new garbage album has almost outsold Good Kid within a month. If there was no change based on the far superior quality of Good Kid to most current stuff then there won't be just because Kendrick has pointed it out.

yeah, they've always had their battles and claims- but he figuratively called out fucking everyone saying "GET BETTER."

how could you possibly expect kendrick to push the kind of albums that jay z does? everyone in america knows who jay z is. can't even tell you how many times older folk brought up his concert at fenway in the week leading up to it.

but the difference is that as of about 11:30 last night, a helluva lot more people knew kendrick's name. whether or not they themselves heard or understood what he did, they saw his name.

the rap world both heard and understood what he did. and that's what matters.

it'll be impossible to quantify what kind of affect it has. i don't want to hear 6 different guys release something in the next week, because any fly-by-night response won't compare; it'll be too short sighted. 

I never game him a chance after Rigamortis. When I first heard that song I played it on loop for hours... then I looked up a live version and nothing I found could live up to it. I still think it's a great song, but until I hear him rap it completely and at full speed, he still comes off as cheap to me. 

edit:

and I don't think anything is going to change because

yeah, they've always had their battles and claims- but he figuratively called out fucking everyone saying "GET BETTER."

how could you possibly expect kendrick to push the kind of albums that jay z does? everyone in america knows who jay z is. can't even tell you how many times older folk brought up his concert at fenway in the week leading up to it.

but the difference is that as of about 11:30 last night, a helluva lot more people knew kendrick's name. whether or not they themselves heard or understood what he did, they saw his name.

the rap world both heard and understood what he did. and that's what matters.

it'll be impossible to quantify what kind of affect it has. i don't want to hear 6 different guys release something in the next week, because any fly-by-night response won't compare; it'll be too short sighted. 

Exactly. I don't expect Kendrick to sell as many albums as Jay Z which is why most of the people mentioned in this verse will not care and  continue to be marginally talented, outselling Kendrick regardless of who Kendrick or anyone else thinks is more talented.

Why not just lead by example? Why so gimmicky? Priorities are so out-of-whack in the hip hop world it makes my head hurt.

i'm not sure what you're referring to. this is 100% leading by example.

i'm not sure what you're referring to. this is 100% leading by example.

I listened to it, and all I heard was a rapper trying to start some controversy. Maybe I just don't get it. This song doesn't sound any different than any other song that's been on the radio in the last ten years. Saying he wants to raise the bar doesn't mean he did... 

Then again, I'm not a big fan of hip-hop. I'm just tossing in my two cents to the conversation.

I listened to it, and all I heard was a rapper trying to start some controversy. Maybe I just don't get it. This song doesn't sound any different than any other song that's been on the radio in the last ten years. Saying he wants to raise the bar doesn't mean he did... 

Then again, I'm not a big fan of hip-hop. I'm just tossing in my two cents to the conversation.

this isn't radio rap by any means. he's not starting controversy at all.. it's not a diss track. it's "okay, enough sleeping on me, because i'm better than y'all" and making the declaration on one of the best verses rap has had in the last decade.

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2013/08/kendrick-lamar-king-of-ny#page/1

read through some of those responses. yeah. a few of the samples are clowns, but whatever.

i'm just saying, when everyone else in the game is reacting, it's hard to not get excited as a fan.

this isn't radio rap by any means. he's not starting controversy at all.. it's not a diss track. it's "okay, enough sleeping on me, because i'm better than y'all" and making the declaration on one of the best verses rap has had in the last decade.

read through some of those responses. yeah. a few of the samples are clowns, but whatever.

i'm just saying, when everyone else in the game is reacting, it's hard to not get excited as a fan.

Again, I just don't think I get it. I see controversy - calling himself the King of New York, when he's not from there, isn't a 'diss' or a jab at all of the rappers coming out of the city? I get that he's trying to make a name for himself, I just don't see why he couldn't do it on merit, rather than a gimmick disguised as a verse. But at the same time, this type of song has been around in the hip-hop world forever, right? So maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.

It's totally understandable for fans to get pumped up, I'm not saying anything otherwise. And if it inspires some other guys you're into to step up, that's even better. 

EDIT: I didn't respond to the 'best verse in the last decade' part because I have no idea if that's true, haha.

I don't get anyone commenting in this thread stating they're "not a big fan of hip-hop".

If you're interested in the subject why not just follow along without adding your two cents and try to understand why this seems to have created such a major ripple in the industry? If you don't know the genre well how do you know what Kendrick's verse will lead to? To say that it sounds like every other hip-hop song you've heard in the past 10 years sort of just reiterates that you're "not a big fan of hip-hop".

EDIT: Also, to say that he's not doing it on merit is ridiculous. Maybe if you were a bigger hip hop fan you'd realise how good this verse is. 

Seriously, this is like someone that doesn't really like ice cream trying to say a new flavour is no good.

DOUBLE EDIT: I'm not trying to be a dick either, I just don't understand why you're trying to argue a subject you've admitted to not being much of a fan of.

Nailed it.

Kendrick is easily my favorite rapper there and one of the best out there too, easily. 

I don't get anyone commenting in this thread stating they're "not a big fan of hip-hop".

If you're interested in the subject why not just follow along without adding your two cents and try to understand why this seems to have created such a major ripple in the industry? If you don't know the genre well how do you know what Kendrick's verse will lead to? To say that it sounds like every other hip-hop song you've heard in the past 10 years sort of just reiterates that you're "not a big fan of hip-hop".

This is a discussion board, where people with differing backgrounds and musical tastes talk about various things. Adding my two cents helps me to understand why Ry wanted to make a thread about it. It's not like I'm bashing anything or anyone - we're just talking.