Records touch when spinning

I bought a cheap turntable (new to the vinyl addiction) to play some old country albums.  I have a few albums that are "warped"  (they don't make a warbling sound, so I don't know if they're considered warped?  Again, newbie ignorance).  They sound just fine, but they touch the turntable when spinning, making a scraping noise.  I don't want to play these records because I don't want to scratch them, nor do I want to throw them away (one is Waylon Jennings, my favorite).  I have the cheap Jensen JTA 220, which sells for $40-$50, so it's not terrific. 

Would getting a different record player fix this?  Do different players have the rotating piece that the records set on built taller to prevent the vinyl from catching on the record player itself?  I know very little about record players, I just want to listen to good ol' country music, and I don't really have any interest in buying something expensive.  I'm just curious to know if this is a problem all record players have, or if there are height differences in record players to prevent this type of problem.

Thanks!  This forum looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

FIrst thing, welcome!

As far as your issue, it could be turntable related...any chance you could post a picture of what you mean? It could help folks diagnose what is happening a little better. If it is the warpage of the vinyl causing the problem, you could try flattening the record(s).

Well thank you for the reply and welcome, first of all, much appreciated.

To be a little more descriptive, the records aren't some lumpy, bumpy, curvy sheet of vinyl.  You can watch them go up and down a bit as they rotate, but I expect that to be common with 4 year old country albums I get for a dollar or two.  I have several that are not "flat" flat, but they don't touch and scrape.  I've noticed some record players have the "spinner" (the piece that the record sets atop of) with a bit more height than mine has.  Mine is pretty level.

(I'm trying to figure out how to upload a picture here)

That's the one, I didn't know how to upload a picture, I was going to take a closer picture of it.  Anyways, thanks for posting it.

It is made for 7", 10", and 12" vinyl.  The 45 is on there..  Marketing trick.  The dust cover has a cut out on the left hand side because 33s stick out a little bit.  The record player isn't real big. 

On the picture posted, between the 45 and the arm, you can see what looks almost nipple-like.  The record hits around there.  It's sort of difficult to see due to the angle, but it does give you an idea of how low the rotating thing (again, I don't know what it's called...) that the records set on is.  Is that common?  Do most record players have them up higher?  I didn't know what to look for when I bought it, I just wanted a cheap player to see if I was going to like vinyl.

That's the one, I didn't know how to upload a picture, I was going to take a closer picture of it.  Anyways, thanks for posting it.

It is made for 7", 10", and 12" vinyl.  The 45 is on there..  Marketing trick.  The dust cover has a cut out on the left hand side because 33s stick out a little bit.  The record player isn't real big. 

On the picture posted, between the 45 and the arm, you can see what looks almost nipple-like.  The record hits around there.  It's sort of difficult to see due to the angle, but it does give you an idea of how low the rotating thing (again, I don't know what it's called...) that the records set on is.  Is that common?  Do most record players have them up higher?  I didn't know what to look for when I bought it, I just wanted a cheap player to see if I was going to like vinyl.

I had this same player and never had any problems with albums rubbing on the player.  You may want to find an album in better shape and try it out.

I had this same player and never had any problems with albums rubbing on the player.  You may want to find an album in better shape and try it out.

Most of mine play great, but I do have a Waylon record and a few others that touch.  Until I can afford a better record player, I'll just hold off playing them, I don't want to scratch them.

Yeah I think it's the player's fault since it's a bit small and the platter is very low.

It's called a platter?  Good to know.  That makes sense.  I've been going through the "show us your setup/ collection" thread, and looking at the record players.  Most look to have a higher platter than mine, is that safe to assume?  If it could just be lifted up a tiny bit, even a couple millimeters, they wouldn't touch.

It's called a platter?  Good to know.  That makes sense.  I've been going through the "show us your setup/ collection" thread, and looking at the record players.  Most look to have a higher platter than mine, is that safe to assume?  If it could just be lifted up a tiny bit, even a couple millimeters, they wouldn't touch.

Yeah, I think that's it. we have a lot of threads about buying new turntables if you ever want to upgrade. Welcome to VC. Its nice to see people join who aren't just here to try and promote their eBay or scam people.