Here's the ranking:

Smash

Joint Custody

Soms

Crooked Beat

Red Onion

Crooked beat is VERY over priced.

Smash has a great punk and HC collection cool apparel too

Joint has a GREAT selection of OOP and hard to find stuff. A nice collection of everything but I have found great grunge, hard rock, metal, and punk stuff

Soms has a really nice collection and the owner is really cool it's just a small store.

Crooked is alright. The owner is a good dude but he over hypes everything and its very pricy.

Red onion is small and has odd ball music.

Edit: joint custody also has some pretty sick tour shirts and band shirts from the past. They had a Metallica damaged justice tour shirt a while back.

I wouldn't go out of your way to hit up the stores in Maryland or Virginia. Now I would make the drive to Baltimore if you're really ambitious.

Depends on what you're looking for. New? Used? Genre? There are some awesome record stores in northern va, and monthly flea markets, or record fairs in northern va and near baltimore that I've had much better luck in finding certain things than in any of those record stores mentioned. As for the ones mentioned I do like Smash and Joint Custody.

Depends on what you're looking for. New? Used? Genre? There are some awesome record stores in northern va, and monthly flea markets, or record fairs in northern va and near baltimore that I've had much better luck in finding certain things than in any of those record stores mentioned. As for the ones mentioned I do like Smash and Joint Custody.

Dave what do you suggest in NOVA? I used to go to CD Cellar in Court House, but it's such a pain to get there. The 5 DC stores are all within about 1/2 mile of each other at most. 3 on 18th St, one on U St, one on 14th. If you don't have a car NOVA can be a challenge for visitors.

The Arbutis show in Baltimore is fantastic from what I hear. Thanks for sharing Dave!

Crooked Beat blows IMO. I feel like the crap they have is always the same junk so I avoid it. Red Onion has been stepping up their game lately and getting good stuff. One can't forget Joint Custody and SOM, both great shops as well. Smash is an institution and should be visited regardless if you find anything.

The Arbutus show is good but it's a hike and if you go, go early.

Both CD Cellars (Falls Chuch and Clarendon) are good, though I prefer one over the other.

There are also some pretty good shops in Silver Spring.

Now that you know I must kill you.

Seems like Soms is the closest to the WH, might end up checking that out

Yeah, about 14 blocks give or take a few. If you're making the hike might as well hit up Joint Custody and Red Onion while you're at it. Take a cab back if you have to. They're not all that far apart and it's U st area. Total hipster paradise.

Yeah, about 14 blocks give or take a few. If you're making the hike might as well hit up Joint Custody and Red Onion while you're at it. Take a cab back if you have to. They're not all that far apart and it's U st area. Total hipster paradise.

All of the shops are pretty close to each other. It's about a five minute walk from Soms to Joint Custody, and five minutes from there to Smash and Crooked Beat.

What record store do you guys suggest I hit up first if I want to hit up 2-3 stores at once (if you say they're all walking distance from each other)

Thanks

What record store do you guys suggest I hit up first if I want to hit up 2-3 stores at once (if you say they're all walking distance from each other)

Thanks

I'd go with SOM, Joint Custody, and Red Onion.  Red Onion is only open until 7 and I believe Joint Custody is only open until 8.  SOM is open till 9ish.