Moving to St. Petersburg, FL in 10 days - anyone live there?

Not to thread jack, but what's the situation in Orlando like? I may possibly be reloacted there for my job

for whatever reason i have always hated orlando.  Could be the tourist, crazy traffic, or me always getting lost on their toll roads... whatever it is, that place just seems terrible just about every time i am there.

However i did see some crazy fun shows at the social (long ago), and have heard good things about wills pub.

for whatever reason i have always hated orlando.  Could be the tourist, crazy traffic, or me always getting lost on their toll roads... whatever it is, that place just seems terrible just about every time i am there.

However i did see some crazy fun shows at the social (long ago), and have heard good things about wills pub.

There's so much traffic, luckily not as bad as Los Angeles but it's getting close to it. Once it gets after rush hour, it's usually an easy drive to get somewhere.

I think it's pretty cool here. If you're into the theme parks at all that's obviously something to do. Lots of awesome places to eat. If you're one of those "it's raining/I'm bored, guess I'll go to the mall" kinda people we have two massive malls to go kill time in (our hottopic gets decent records in pretty often). I'm always on a tight budget so I don't go out and do much but there's definitely stuff to do. It's a major city so lots of tours/bands come through although I haven't been to many shows at all lately. The trade off with Orlando is that the traffic on I4 really sucks because there's so many retired old people and tourists. Accidents literally every day, but that aside I dig it. I've been slacking really bad on going and checking out local record shops around here but I've heard nothing but good stuff about Park Ave CDs and Rock And Roll Heaven.

Dude, definitely check out Park Ave. Place rules.

I live in the Tampa bay area (in safety harbor - a suburb of tampa and st pete - 30 mins away from each). 

St pete is great, where in st pete are you moving to?

Notable st pete establishments:

Venues -

State theater (on central - 600 block) - larger shows like face to face, teenage bottlerocket... size bands (maybe like 1200 capacity)

Local 662 (on central - 600 block) - smaller shows like guttermouth, old man markely, TSOL (couple-few hundred capacity)

Fubar (on central - 600 block) - tiny hole in the wall bar that can fit maybe 100-150. there are not a ton of shows here but i caught the Ataris there last year.

Janus live - large courtyard venue - outside - couple thousand capacity.  i just saw rancid there a couple months back. Also on central but down towards the water.

Record shops

- Daddy kool - not great but mostly new releases, show tickets, cds... this is on central in the 600 block

- planet retro - good deal of used records come through here, prices can be a bit high at times but i have scored some killer stuff here.  they just moved again and i havent been to their new store yet but its on central near the taco bus.

- tampa/ybor - has microgroove.  its a small shop with mostly used vinyl and its pretty good.  its in seminal heights like 10 mins from downtwon ybor/tampa.  worth the trip as there are some good places to eat in that area.

- sound exchange and Mojo records/book - are both in Tampa near the busch gardens area of town... maybe like 45 mins north of st pete.

st pete has had several new breweries open up along central. i have been to cycle brewery and thats pretty nice place.

the burg, the bends, octave, the emerald, fubar... are all places/bars i seem to end up when going out in st pete but there are a decent chunk of bars & restaurants in the area.

taco bus is a 24 hour joint that is pretty popular with everyone.  They have veggie and vegan options if you are either.

Not sure if you are a dog owner, but st pete has a nice dog beach that we usually hit up a few times a year.

that should help you out a bit.  let me know if you have any specific questions and i will do my best to fill you in.

good luck with the move.

Thanks for all the info!  We're right around the center of St. Pete.  To give you a better idea, we're about a mile and a half away from the 600 block of Central Ave.!

You were so concise in all that you listed, and I thank you for that!  I've been to Daddy Kool, saw an in-store Saves the Day performance there the day after my band played at Fubar on tour, haha.  Love that area.  Definitely excited to check out more that the region has to offer as a whole.  Getting extremely antsy to get this move over and done with, I feel like life is just on pause right now!

Hah thanks for the heads up. I went there last year with my brother and his now ex girlfriend for an extended weekend and had fun. We went to Cocoa Beach and Disneyland, but didn't do anything else really

• 3 weeks later...