Cynic - Kindly Bent to Free Us

After one listen, it sounds pretty good. Definitely a lot catchier and less complex than Traced in Air and Focus, which is what I was expecting, Although I'm sure a vocoder was still used, the vocals sound a lot more natural than previous works, a huge improvement for me. I miss the complexity but this definitely still sounds like Cynic. 

I canceled my pre-order of this when they released Lion's Roar. I felt the album wouldn't touch Traced in Air, which in turn is nothing close to Focus.

But some of these songs are okay, not the Cynic I love, but I may end up buying this after a few more listens.

^ I'll agree with markok on the complexity front. as usual, there are many interesting timing signatures throughout, but the chord progressions on many of the verse riffs are taken in directions I would never think they were going, and are pure genius. all of this stuff was methodically written but an extremely competent musician, which of course paul certainly is.

This album is definitely interesting.  I will give them credit, they certainly don't fall into the mold of bands that puts out the same album over and over and over again.  That being said, I find myself having trouble getting into this album.  The poppy bass really turns me off, but some of the guitar playing is a bit complex and rad.  I might pick this up down the road if I find it for cheap and will go see them if they come through on tour.

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine a few days ago, but a day or two after they emailed me stating that mine and a bunch of other orders were returned to them because of being destroyed in shipping. Directly he said "Your order was shipped, but came back to us destroyed after being mishandled by the transporter, along with many packages shipped the same day" I let them know that I already received my copy, but it may be that yours was one of the wrecked copies. Hopefully an email or two will sort it out for you