Graveface Records & Curiosities - hardcore/punk question

Hi!

This might seem like a lame post but I'd love some assistance from the board.  I run a small vinyl shop in Savannah and really want to have an impressively radical hardcore / punk / emo / whatever section.  I feel I have the classics down, as I'm old.  Where I fail is keeping up with contemporary stuff.  I actually use this board often to see what bands are being posted about and then look to see who distributes them blah blah blah.  Anyone feel like typing out their favs or even, if you walked into a store who you'd like to see?  I order directly from most of the medium size labels that post on here already, looking to get deeper. 

Thanks in advance.

This sounds like it's probably a blast. I'll try to help.

For the emo stuff, ordering some stock from Count Your Lucky Stars and Tiny Engines is a must. They both have really good catalogs and have put out a lot of awesome releases by up-and-coming bands. Releases I'd recommend would be Foxing; Football, etc; Annabel; and Joi De Vivre from CYLS, and Monument; Run, Forever; Latitudes and Longitudues; and Restorations from Tiny Engines. Super cool guys too and easy to deal with.

Definitely get some stock of the Midnight Souls album that was released last year. Absolute masterpiece and I'm kind of bummed they broke up. If I walked into a record store and saw that, I'd be stoked.

The first four you mentioned (Ebullition, Topshelf, No Sleep, and RFC) are definitely labels to get records from. No Sleep especially has been cranking out decent records one after the other, with the occasional slip-up and the occasional classic. 6131 Records and Animal Style just released the new Better Off and Courtesy Drop records, respectively, that are both very good.

Unfortunately (and I'm excluding the main, obvious ones like Deathwish), most of the better hardcore/punk/grind/screamo labels (and this is just my opinion) are based in Europe. I'm talking about ones like React With Protest, Throatruiner, and Dog Knights - especially Dog Knights, among others. The only exception to that might be IFB Records, which has a huge distro list of obscure 90's and 00's hardcore/black metal/grind albums with a few emo and even pop punk albums thrown in.

Also, you can't go wrong with Pure Noise, even though they're not in the hardcore/punk/emo category you mentioned.

Unfortunately (and I'm excluding the main, obvious ones like Deathwish), most of the better hardcore/punk/grind/screamo labels (and this is just my opinion) are based in Europe. I'm talking about ones like React With Protest, Throatruiner, and Dog Knights - especially Dog Knights, among others. The only exception to that might be IFB Records, which has a huge distro list of obscure 90's and 00's hardcore/black metal/grind albums with a few emo and even pop punk albums thrown in.

Wasn't sure if Ryan wanted to import, but I agree.. if you're going screamo/emo from overseas, React With Protest and Dog Knights are awesome. Also will throw in Adagio830and PurePainSugar/Echo Canyon Records (even if ECR have such a small discography).

Thank you very much! I'll be spending the evening researching the new-to-me stuff.

Much appreciated.

hey man I'm the guy who comes every other Friday to pick up records with my new paycheck and always ask if you've got saves the day. last time I was there I had my 4 month old son and girlfriend with me. Cool to see you on VC and keep up the good work with your store. I have to drive from South Carolina when I come and my visit is always the highlight of the month. Picked up a first edition white colored IIOI/KOJI for $12 I think last time. See you again soon dude!

Some suggestions:

Hardcore Punk: Government Warning, The Boston Strangler, Rival Mob, Ceremony, Paint It Black

Punk: Night Birds, Plow United, Red City Radio, The Atom Age, Restorations

Melodic Hardcore / Skate Punkish: After the Fall, Death Is Not Glamorous, Brutal Youth

Experimental + Post Rock: Tera Melos, Black Clouds, And So I Watch You From Afar 

Math Rock & Emo: This Town Needs Guns (TTNG), 31Knots, Look Mexico, Bridge and Tunnel

Noise and Screamo: Pissed Jeans, Loma Prieta

Lo-Fi/Garage/Rock: Screaming Females, Tenement, Davila 666