Noob with new turntable question...need receiver or preamp advice

Hey all, Merry Christmas! For Christmas this year I got a new turntable, which is an Audio Technica AT-LP120. I know it's not the best but it is what I can afford. Anyway I knew the turntable had a preamp and I have powered speakers (M-Audio BX5 D2) but my speakers have individual volume knobs on each and it is annoying having to adjust each of them to raise or lower the volume when listening to records. So i was thinking of getting a receiver or a preamp or something that has a master volume knob that I could use. Any suggestions on what to get? I was looking into the Onkyo TX-8020 receiver? any good? Please get back to me with any helpful information. Thanks

Disregard the post above mine, because it is absolutely false. :D

If the only thing you need is to add volume control, then you shouldn't really be looking at an amplifier/receiver. You'll pay for a bunch of other functionality you don't need, plus more importantly you'll need new speakers, unless that amp has a pre-out section.

The best thing you can do is add a passive volume control, something like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/sm-pro-audio-nano-patch-passive-volume-attenuator

Disregard the post above mine, because it is absolutely false. :D

If the only thing you need is to add volume control, then you shouldn't really be looking at an amplifier/receiver. You'll pay for a bunch of other functionality you don't need, plus more importantly you'll need new speakers, unless that amp has a pre-out section.

The best thing you can do is add a passive volume control, something like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/sm-pro-audio-nano-patch-passive-volume-attenuator

I like how that volume attenuator looks. I've got one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/rolls-mx28-mini-mix-vi. Lets you mix a couple other audio outputs as well, plus ports for headphones. Uglier than the nano patch though :P

I also didn't know if using a receiver like the Onkyo I mentioned above would maybe make it sound better than just going through the preamp on the turntable thats why I was looking into getting it.

I can't speak on that receiver's quality or anything, but either way it looks like you'd need passive speakers in order to use it (like slinch said). Since your speakers are active, they include amplifiers. The receiver you linked also has an amp. Neither seems to have a way to bypass the internal amp (well the receiver does have a pre-out for the subwoofer but that's not helpful here) so you'd end up with double amplification, which is no good.

I like how that volume attenuator looks. I've got one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/rolls-mx28-mini-mix-vi. Lets you mix a couple other audio outputs as well, plus ports for headphones. Uglier than the nano patch though :P

I can't speak on that receiver's quality or anything, but either way it looks like you'd need passive speakers in order to use it (like slinch said). Since your speakers are active, they include amplifiers. The receiver you linked also has an amp. Neither seems to have a way to bypass the internal amp (well the receiver does have a pre-out for the subwoofer but that's not helpful here) so you'd end up with double amplification, which is no good.

Thanks for the info, I guess the receiver would do double amplification and I don't want that. Will look for a volume control.

Yeah, but the thing is... this receiver wouldn't really be an upgrade. I would agree with you if he was looking at something solid, but this one is about as bad as they get. So without replacing anything else in his setup, he ends up with an expensive volume control, but if he wants a step up in performance he still needs to replace the table, the speakers and the amplification, because no matter how good the speakers are, a terrible amp will produce terrible results.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I just got the turntable and speakers for christmas and neither are getting replaced anytime soon. My speakers sound amazing and the turntable sounds great as well considering i've never had a TT before. So I won't be getting that receiver because as all of you have been saying, it is a waste of money. I think I'll be going with this volume control: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/825433-REG/SM_Pro_Audio_SMP_NPP_1_Nano_Patch_Passive_Stereo.html

Do you also use headphones perhaps? Because if you do, a cool idea might be buying a headphone amplifier that also works as a standalone volume control. 

I do have headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50) but I usually use them with my laptop and phone while on the go. When i'm home I like to listen to music out of my speakers because they sound better. So I don't think Ill be using my headphones with the turntable that much.

Do you also use headphones perhaps? Because if you do, a cool idea might be buying a headphone amplifier that also works as a standalone volume control. 

If you use the TT with the pre amp on there are plenty of valve/tube buffer and pre amps on ebay and the web in general that will work as a headphone amp and volume control between the TT and the active speakers which would make a neat little system.