Best Man Tips?

Anyone here been a best man before? I'm looking for any tips, advice, inputs, etc. that you might be able to offer, please.

I'm going to be a best man later this year for the first time and was hoping that I might be able to hear about other's experiences (or, if you're married, how your best man did for you).

Thanks everyone!

I was a best man a few years ago and am due to be one this year too!

Advice: Sort out the bachelor party as soon as you can and get the money from everyone so you can get it booked and forget about it.

Speech: Don't get drunk beforehand! The wedding was running over so I had to sit through friends getting drunk before I did my speech. I was super nervous but it turned out way better than I thought. I got some photos of the groom for all the tables to laugh at when I went on about our friendship, how we met etc.

Personally I hate the whole "shame the stag" thing but whatever works I guess.

I was a best man a few years ago and am due to be one this year too!

Advice: Sort out the bachelor party as soon as you can and get the money from everyone so you can get it booked and forget about it.

Speech: Don't get drunk beforehand! The wedding was running over so I had to sit through friends getting drunk before I did my speech. I was super nervous but it turned out way better than I thought. I got some photos of the groom for all the tables to laugh at when I went on about our friendship, how we met etc.

Personally I hate the whole "shame the stag" thing but whatever works I guess.

Thanks... I'm starting to turn the wheels on the bachelor party now (wedding in October). I don't think it should take too much planning, but I want to make sure we have all options available, if necessary.

Not getting drunk before the speech will be tough, but I'm confident I can do it. I just typed up my speech (or a variant of it) in the last couple days, so I should be good on that front. Not to toot my own horn, but I think it's pretty fucking good.

...also, for everyone who says to bang a bridesmaid - I'm going to try to make one of them that flaked on me a couple times before feel guilty about it and then win her over with my best man speech. She should melt like butter and be good to go after that. Ha.