Help me come up with a decent setup? ...on a budget

So, I finally got around to getting everything set up. I got the turntable all put together and adjusted the counter weight and anti-skate weight. As soon as the needle hit the vinyl it shot the tonearm off back toward the arm rest. I readjusted the weight and got it as close to perfect as I could. I may readjust tomorrow. The only problem I'm having now is that when I raise the lever up to pickup the tonearm the it kind of pulls some to the right instead of just raising up in place. Not sure if this is a common problem or even a problem at all. I've also noticed some crackling which I've been told is probably just from some dust. This is my first "real" setup and I'm just hoping for some pointers/stories/advice. Thanks!

So, I finally got around to getting everything set up. I got the turntable all put together and adjusted the counter weight and anti-skate weight. As soon as the needle hit the vinyl it shot the tonearm off back toward the arm rest. I readjusted the weight and got it as close to perfect as I could. I may readjust tomorrow. The only problem I'm having now is that when I raise the lever up to pickup the tonearm the it kind of pulls some to the right instead of just raising up in place. Not sure if this is a common problem or even a problem at all. I've also noticed some crackling which I've been told is probably just from some dust. This is my first "real" setup and I'm just hoping for some pointers/stories/advice. Thanks!

Are you using a scale to set the exact weight or did you just put the counter weight on and spin the dial? Sounds like your VTF is off.

But how does it sound! Since I'm going to be ordering this exact set up in two weeks, let's hear some feedback! I've been wondering about those audio engine speakers- they're pretty tiny.

Are you using a scale to set the exact weight or did you just put the counter weight on and spin the dial? Sounds like your VTF is off.

I zero'd out the counter and brought it back until the tonearm balanced itself. I don't have a scale yet unfortunately. Looking into it as we speak.

But how does it sound! Since I'm going to be ordering this exact set up in two weeks, let's hear some feedback! I've been wondering about those audio engine speakers- they're pretty tiny.

I won't be pretentious as I'm totally new to this anyway but already I can hear more depth and clarity. I listened to my Remember the Radio - Alta California record and it sounded like the singer was on the room with us. There's definitely a warmth that I've never heard before and the highs and lows are both great. I can't compare the speakers to anything but I can tell you I have a them in a 24'x24' foot bedroom and when the volume dial is no more than 1/4-1/5 turned up you can hear it and it's pretty loud. I turned them up some yesterday and even at really high volumes it still sounds good and isn't annoying. Just loud. Haha