WTT: Blink 182

whomhead

Part of my problem is I really have no idea what the value of these albums are. Excuse my ignorance, but how do we handle that? I've looked at them on discogs and ebay and been trying to base their values off of that. I'm happy to trade for albums of similar value, but would rather not trade something that goes for 80-100 bucks for something that's worth ~30. Thoughts?

Part of my problem is I really have no idea what the value of these albums are. Excuse my ignorance, but how do we handle that? I've looked at them on discogs and ebay and been trying to base their values off of that. I'm happy to trade for albums of similar value, but would rather not trade something that goes for 80-100 bucks for something that's worth ~30. Thoughts?

You've come to the wrong place if you're looking for eBay prices out of your records. Try posting these on Discogs or something. Maybe they'll sell for those prices and then you can go buy NIN records

You've come to the wrong place if you're looking for eBay prices out of your records. Try posting these on Discogs or something. Maybe they'll sell for those prices and then you can go buy NIN records

Sorry, but other than telling me to buzz off and go somewhere else I'm not sure how this helps. I'm trying to understand the process here. Do people on this site just trade even up for albums regardless of any difference in value? I'd be surprised if that's the case, but if it is I'd like to know that so I know what direction to go in the future. I know I'm the FNG around here, but I don't intend on being a fly by night album flipper. I'd like to stick around and become a member of this community, but maybe I shouldn't if I'm going to be told to go elsewhere?

Sorry, but other than telling me to buzz off and go somewhere else I'm not sure how this helps. I'm trying to understand the process here. Do people on this site just trade even up for albums regardless of any difference in value? I'd be surprised if that's the case, but if it is I'd like to know that so I know what direction to go in the future. I know I'm the FNG around here, but I don't intend on being a fly by night album flipper. I'd like to stick around and become a member of this community, but maybe I shouldn't if I'm going to be told to go elsewhere?

A month or two ago I traded away a copy of Californication by The Red Hot Chili Peppers for a copy of Either/Or by Elliott Smith. If it was all about the value, I'd say that the other guy got the better end of that trade - Californication is a more expensive record than Either/Or.

However, I got a record that I listen to WAY more out of the deal, so I totally feel like it was a good trade. The difference in value was there, but it was negligible (about 5 or 10 dollars). Take Off Your Pants and Jacket is about a 40 dollar record, give or take and The Downward Spiral is about a 30 dollar record.  I'm not trying to pull your strings at all by making that offer, I think it's fair and we'd both get something we'd listen to more out of it.

That's how it usually goes down around here. 'Value-wise' you might sacrifice a couple dollars there, and make a couple there, but in the end it all evens out.

All that said though, I totally understand if you're not interested. No worries at all!

I'm beginning to think the better course of action here would've been to start a thread in general discussion over determining value, and how folks typically handled a difference in value in a trading situation. I certainly don't want folks to get the wrong impression here, in that I'm only interested in "the money." Each person is of course going to value things differently. It probably would've helped if I provided more detail on what I was looking for, ie OG copies, condition, etc. I agree with you shadowkid, I'd have no issue leaving 5-10 bucks on the table trading off something I didn't really want for something I really wanted. I could've saved everyone time by being more specific, I see that now.

You say that Blink 182 album is about a 40 dollar record. How are you coming up with that number? Everywhere that I know to look shows 50 bucks all the way up to like 125. I understand the high side of that may be wishful thinking on the part of the seller, but 40? I'm not saying you're wrong, because I obviously don't know for sure, but if there's a different source to use for valuing other than ebay, discogs, and popsike I want to know! Would save me the trouble of looking like a jackass for expecting "ebay prices."

My experience with trading seems to be if a person has something I really want or a few things and I do as well you work out a trade that is tight for everyone. I've traded 5 lps for 1 before it just depends on what you want or will trade. Don't let people on here discourage you. At the end of the day we are all collectors to be nice to each other and make this enjoyable and not a shitty site to just be dicks.

I'm getting my numbers for TOYPAJ off of discogs, as far as specified you have this pressing (or a comparable one) http://www.discogs.com/Blink-182-Take-Off-Your-Pants-And-Jacket/release/4878599

The last one was sold 2 months ago (so it's pretty recent) and the median number is 40 dollars.

Of course if you have a different pressing (like the one with the 7"s, that number goes out the window. But, you know, just guessing which one you have.

In order for people to trade, you present that such and such record is worth a particular amount. Sometimes it takes referencing ebay or discogs. 

The key to a good trade is both people feel good about what they're getting. And if you were remotely interested in trading with me, look at my list and see the 100+ transactions I had on here and Dead Format to the satifaction of many people: http://deadformat.net/tradelist/somethingvinyl&view=info