Yes you will need to check quite a few things, cartridge alignment, anti skate and tracking weight mostly.

Having the new cart installed in a new headshell is a good idea as once you have your new cart aligned the only difference will be the tracking weight and anti skate.

Did your turntable come with a paper alignment protractor? If not get yourself a vinyl engine account and download one of the free ones as getting the cartridge right is very important.

For where you are now upgrading to an acrylic platter mat will help as it helps to get rid of static also there are some on ebay that have a strobe printed on one side and a cartridge alignment protractor printed on the other.

Have a search around as there are some very good guides on the internet that explain all the different cartridge alignments and their effects.

Also you might want to get a cheap tracking force scale if you are going to be swapping carts about as the markings on the weight on the arm are not going to be that accurate.

Ok, I know how to set the tracking weight and anti skate after confirming the starting point for the cart. I will also have to re-balance the tone arm I am sure.

I was actually looking at an alignment mat. :)

But I am going to download one from Vinyle Engine just in case I decide on a different one. Thanks :)

I am looking at a few different mats on ebay now. Is there a type better for the rock/pop/new wave music I mostly listen to?

Hmmm, never heard of such a scale. I assume it is the same as a tracking force gauge. Is digital better to get ? I see some that look like rulers which I assume are much harder to deal with. If I understand it correctly, it should read when the weight reads correct ?

Has anyone had any experience with the Ortofon 2m Red ? I had it on my short list as well for cart upgrade but could yse some input on it.

I am learning so much and really appreciate the input of a veteran such as yourself.

Thank you.

Are you doing any research by yourself on the Internet or are you okay with someone just spoon-feeding you all the answers to your basic turntable questions?

Not trying to be a dick, but well... I'm a dick.

Well I am glad you can acknowledge and embrace what a dick you are. I congratulate you.

If it pleases the court, I have spent hours reviewing threads, forums, videos, blogs. But there is a point you just want to reach a spot where you can reach out to peers that you feel you can value their opinion and will listen and give you positive feedback.

I guess I was wrong. Everyone acts like such an elitist that any Noob questions are flamed and embarrassed. Its not easy with this hobby as there are so many levels of equipment and expertise that people with lower end equipment tend to get lost like myself.

Too bad people tend to forget they were "noobs" once and may have made less mistakes if peers had lent a helping hand and not just sent them to look it up.

Regardless Allan, I am deeply grateful for all of your input.

Glad to meet another forum dick yanq.

Nothing makes people roll their eyes more than somebody calling themselves a "noob" 40 times, and gushing their thanks for somebody helping them.

You're not asking any new questions. It's a waste of time to rope someone into answering every little inquiry you have rather than Googling most of this shit.

I PMd you back about buying my pre amp. As for the Ortofom 2M red, solid cartridge... Until you hit the inner grooves of the record. Then... Not always.

Nothing makes people roll their eyes more than somebody calling themselves a "noob" 40 times, and gushing their thanks for somebody helping them.

Yeah, fuck people who admit they know little to nothing about a subject instead of acting like they are way more knowledgeable than they really are. And fuck people who say thank you when others do something for them. That shit gets annoying