PO: Iron Maiden 1980's Era Represses

They probably designed that box to hold all single LPs, forgetting that LAD is a double LP and that PoM is a gatefold.

Bingo.  Eight single LPs would have fit fine.  I finally got all mine and tried to put them in the box and....nope.  I just put all 7 studio LPs in there and left Live After Death out.  Really sucks, but what are you gonna do? 

• 2 weeks later...

New to the forum so I had made my own post about this (though this thread was pretty buried). Here's my original post:

For the first two albums (debut and Killers) I didn't get them, because I was going to stick to the US pressings which included "Sanctuary" and "Twilight Zone", excluded on the UK versions and thus these 2014 versions. Number of the Beast's remastering job was very subpar compared to the '82 version, so I returned it and got the original.

The studio albums from Piece of Mind through Seventh Son all had some form of mixing problem ranging from annoying to downright unlistenable (which by this I mean the individual tracks seem to "sway" from their channels, a bit hard to explain but it makes me dizzy after awhile, and by unlistenable, Piece of Mind's mix was shifted towards the right channel, very annoying) and some had this strange problem where in between tracks the audio would completely cut off, sometimes taking the last bit of the song with it. I don't know what that's about, and it sounds just as weird as I'm making it sound to be. 

The singles haven't been much better. The same mixing problems are persistent, though some better than others. Two other problems though, are the warping which was really bad on some, and the pressing seemed to be slightly off center on certain singles causing pitch vibration problems in addition to the mixing woes. 

The covers to the studio versions are also very flimsy and cheaply made. The European versions were sturdier and were also glossy. I didn't care about the glossiness really, just the fact that the covers feel almost paper thin. Not quite, but damn near close.

So here's the deal with me: The turntable I use, the Audio Technica AT LP60 is most likely what's causing the channels to screw up. I tested them on my crappy Crosley knockoff (not even a crappy Crosley but a Crosley knockoff!!) and it doesn't seem to be evident. I've already returned them and got my refund. If this is indeed the case that it's my TT, I can just buy them again but they're out of stock right now, so I pose the question for the two albums I might want to get (SIT and SS, the two harder to find ones on vinyl): 

Out of strictly the US pressings, which one's better, 2014 or the 1986/88 pressings of Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son? I hear that the 80s pressings have a problem with inner groove distortion, is this true at all, even with a good properly aligned cartridge? And of course is the quality overall better on which? I appreciate any input.

So here's the deal with me: The turntable I use, the Audio Technica AT LP60 is most likely what's causing the channels to screw up. I tested them on my crappy Crosley knockoff (not even a crappy Crosley but a Crosley knockoff!!) and it doesn't seem to be evident. I've already returned them and got my refund. If this is indeed the case that it's my TT, I can just buy them again but they're out of stock right now, so I pose the question for the two albums I might want to get (SIT and SS, the two harder to find ones on vinyl): 

Out of strictly the US pressings, which one's better, 2014 or the 1986/88 pressings of Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son? I hear that the 80s pressings have a problem with inner groove distortion, is this true at all, even with a good properly aligned cartridge? And of course is the quality overall better on which? I appreciate any input.

Damn, dude. You may want to find a Maiden specific board somewhere out there on the intenet to ask these questions...I'm not trying to come off as rude; I just honestly doubt most people on this board have done A/B comparisons between the pressings you're asking about.

• 2 months later...

So the general consensus is that i should buy the 2014 UK box? I don't own any of their albums on vinyl, and i'd like to change that. The box seems cool, and i feel like it'd be a pain in the ass to get original copies in good condition.

I'd go for originals...it's really not that hard to get decent listening copies of them, and supposedly these new ones sound like they're "playing with a blanket over the speakers"

So the general consensus is that i should buy the 2014 UK box? I don't own any of their albums on vinyl, and i'd like to change that. The box seems cool, and i feel like it'd be a pain in the ass to get original copies in good condition.

I'm satisfied with the UK copies, I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread but I also purchased a copy of TNOTB US press and it did sound like a wet blanket over speakers (UK pressings sound fine though). The only drawback of the UK box is that all of the reissues will not fit properly in the box.

I'm satisfied with the UK copies, I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread but I also purchased a copy of TNOTB US press and it did sound like a wet blanket over speakers (UK pressings sound fine though). The only drawback of the UK box is that all of the reissues will not fit properly in the box.

Ah, I may have missed that then. If the UK sound better than the US I'd say that's a solid route to go then, Jesse.

• 3 months later...

Just a little heads up for anyone who hasn't bought these yet, Amazon UK has the box set up for £27.99 direct from them. It's out if stock but obviously you can still order it etc.

I got lucky a week or so ago and ordered it at £20.99 when it was out of stock and it arrived today. Sounds great!

Might be worth a go for those in the states who want the UK version??