Pit Bull tears off baby boy's testicles

http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/PE_News_Local_W_sattack08.225c308dc.html

A 6-month-old boy's testicles were severed when two large dogs attacked him as he lay strapped into a baby carrier last weekend at a Murrieta apartment, authorities said.

The mother, identified by Murrieta police as Carrie McKinney, 22, of Point Loma, apparently had left the baby in the carrier on the floor in a room at her friend's apartment with the pit bull and pit bull mix, said Sgt. Bob Landwehr. It was not clear how long the baby had been left alone. The mother and friend, identified as Doug Ritchey, the dogs' owner, came to the baby's rescue when they heard him screaming, Landwehr said.

No one has been arrested in connection with the incident Saturday, police said.

Police were called to the apartment complex at 26301 Arboretum Way in the southwest Riverside County community about 10 a.m. after one or both of the dogs tore off the baby's diaper and bit his scrotum, Landwehr said.

The baby was taken to Rancho Springs Medical Center in Murrieta, then transferred to another hospital, but Landwehr said he did not have an update on the child's condition Wednesday.

Police and child protective services were investigating the attack.

Landwehr said the dogs were seized by animal control.

Willa Bagwell, director of Animal Friends of the Valleys, which provides animal control services for Murrieta, said it appears both were involved in the attack judging by the blood on the dogs.

Ritchey, who lives at the apartment where the attack occurred, signed a release to allow animal control to euthanize the 5-year-old female pit bull and 8-month-old female pit bull mix, Bagwell said. The dogs will be kept alive at the shelter until Tuesday to make sure they do not have rabies, she said.

Animal control officers had been called out to the complex in recent weeks because someone reported the same two dogs were abandoned in an apartment, Bagwell said. Ritchey showed up while officers were there and said the dogs were his.

At the shelter Wednesday, the dogs were being kept in separate cages and away from the other animals with a "Beware of Dog" sign on a chain.

Bagwell estimated that the pit bull weighs 70 to 80 pounds and pit bull mix weighs about 60 pounds. She said she spoke with McKinney when she and Ritchey visited the Lake Elsinore animal shelter after the attack.

Neither McKinney nor Ritchey could be reached for comment.

This is the first time in more than two decades with the organization that Bagwell has seen an infant with such serious dog bite injuries. Toddlers and older children often are bitten when they approach or provoke dogs, she said. Obviously, an infant in a carrier did nothing to provoke the attack, she said.

Bagwell said she was shocked that someone would leave a defenseless infant unattended around dogs, especially pit bulls.

"It was very negligent," Bagwell said. "We're just all praying for this poor baby. It's such a tragedy. And what's sad is that it was so preventable."

People will never learn. Fuckin' idiots make me want to vomit with rage. I feel so sorry for the babies and children out there that are attacked by dogs. This seems to happen way too often and could usually be avoided.

DOGS ARE NOT PEOPLE!!!!!

THEY ARE FUCKING ANIMALS!!!!!

KEEP THEM AWAY FROM BABIES AND CHILDREN!!!!!!!

And before some fuckin shit-for-brains tries to come to the defense of the dog....I don't want to hear that shit. Tell me that your dog is different. Your dog is sweet and would never hurt anybody. Pit bulls are misunderstood and it's all in how they are raised/trained. If you think along those lines then you deserve to have something terrible happen to you....but DON'T put yours or any other child in danger. EVER.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me that your dog is different. Your dog is sweet and would never hurt anybody. Pit bulls are misunderstood and it's all in how they are raised/trained. If you think along those lines then you deserve to have something terrible happen to you....but DON'T put yours or any other child in danger. EVER.

This made you look like a fucking idiot. ::)

Tell me that your dog is different. Your dog is sweet and would never hurt anybody. Pit bulls are misunderstood and it's all in how they are raised/trained. If you think along those lines then you deserve to have something terrible happen to you....but DON'T put yours or any other child in danger. EVER.

This made you look like a fucking idiot. ::)

You ARE a fucking idiot.

You ARE a fucking idiot.

Point proven...thanks.

Look, I don't have a problem with you. Well, at least I didn't until you said I look like a fucking idiot. I just can't stand it when people care more about an animal's well being than that of a human. There is something seriously wrong with the way the Western world thinks about dogs. I can't believe anyone would hear this story, or any of the others that happen on a constant basis and think the dogs are the ones we need to look out for.

How many of these kinds of horrific preventable nightmares need to happen before people start to wake up?

Its cause pit bulls can kill people when they go nuts. I dont care how mad a beagle was, I could kick the shit out of it if I had to. A beagle might bite a kid or something but its not going to rip the kids balls off.

All breeds of dogs bite people all the time but you dont hear about it unless its a pitt bull for the most part, because when a pitt attacks some one its going to cause a lot more damage.

Its cause pit bulls can kill people when they go nuts. I dont care how mad a beagle was, I could kick the shit out of it if I had to. A beagle might bite a kid or something but its not going to rip the kids balls off.

All breeds of dogs bite people all the time but you dont hear about it unless its a pitt bull for the most part, because when a pitt attacks some one its going to cause a lot more damage.

actuallly, this is all false. to say that when a pit attacks someone it's going to cause a lot more damage doesn't make any sense. their jaws don't 'lock', they don't have stronger jaws than other breeds of a comparable size; those are all urban legends.

generalizations about pit bulls make me ill.

pit bulls actually temperment test better than golden retrievers and beagles.

AND used to be known as nanny dogs because they were so good with children. now they get a bad rap. fact.

Do you have children?

no i do not, but i'd like to hear your logic as to what that has to do with the facts that i put forth.

actuallly, this is all false. to say that when a pit attacks someone it's going to cause a lot more damage doesn't make any sense. their jaws don't 'lock', they don't have stronger jaws than other breeds of a comparable size; those are all urban legends.

Have you ever seen a pit bull? They are huge, muscular dogs. You are completely and utterly delusional if you don't think a pit bull attack would be more horrendous than a beagle attack. Which dog would you choose to get attacked by? Would you get attacked by the pit because it's jaws don't lock? Good luck with that one.

Sure, pits rate well in temperament, but it's also a fact that a good deal of dog related fatalities are caused by pit bulls. They've been bred by some individuals for a good long while now to be vicious fighting dogs. It's in their genetics plain and simple.

I'm not saying that all pit bulls are terrible. My friend's mom has a pit bull and it's one of the nicest dogs I've ever encountered. I also realize that it could easily kill me on a bad day.

People who ramble off pit bull statistics in their defense without context, leading to death and babies getting their testicles ripped off, make me ill.

If a pitt attacks someone its going to cause more damage than if a beagle attacks someone doesnt make sense?

Of course a boxer or doberman or rottweiler or husky can do as much or more damage as a pitt. Like, I said all breeds of dogs attack people. It just seems like most dog attacks that I hear about or really bad ones that make the news are involving pitts.

I didnt make any generalizations about pitts. Its the same for any big, strong dog. Its kinda obvious they can do more damage than most other dogs. If they really want to attack you, they can. Im pretty sure I could fight off other dogs that arent as strong as those types of dogs if I had to. Which would make pitts and those other bigger, stronger dogs much more dangerous.

Point proven...thanks.

Look, I don't have a problem with you. Well, at least I didn't until you said I look like a fucking idiot. I just can't stand it when people care more about an animal's well being than that of a human. There is something seriously wrong with the way the Western world thinks about dogs. I can't believe anyone would hear this story, or any of the others that happen on a constant basis and think the dogs are the ones we need to look out for.

How many of these kinds of horrific preventable nightmares need to happen before people start to wake up?

No, do you know what is fucking awful? The fact that this child's mother was too fucking negligent and fucking stupid to have enough common sense to know you NEVER leave a child unsupervised around ANY animal. EVER. But no, society is too quick to blame something that lacks the mental capacity to determine that an infant is not a toy or a small animal that it can play with.

As Allison said, pit bulls were at one time, nanny dogs. It kind of interesting that if the dog(s) that attacked this child were something like beagles or border collies, the breed would be arbitrary in the news story. But because of horrible, awful people who neglect and abuse these poor animals to make them violent, they're stuck with an awful reputation.

Another problem would be people who get dogs and don't know how to properly train or care for them. A lot of people just think dogs are novelty, not a living breathing thing that needs A LOT of time and attention. About as much as a human child if you are properly training it and taking care of it. Too many people don't know how to properly handle their animals.

What do people need to wake up from exactly? Any pit bull/animal advocate would be saying the same thing. Sure, it is a very horrible thing that happened to that child. But the real tragedy is that people are too quick to blame everything solely on the dog. Not the REAL problem.

That poor child is suffering because of the actions (or inaction) awful PEOPLE, not dogs.

If a pitt attacks someone its going to cause more damage than if a beagle attacks someone doesnt make sense?

Of course a boxer or doberman or rottweiler or husky can do as much or more damage as a pitt. Like, I said all breeds of dogs attack people. It just seems like most dog attacks that I hear about or really bad ones that make the news are involving pitts.

I didnt make any generalizations about pitts. Its the same for any big, strong dog. Its kinda obvious they can do more damage than most other dogs. If they really want to attack you, they can. Im pretty sure I could fight off other dogs that arent as strong as those types of dogs if I had to. Which would make pitts and those other bigger, stronger dogs much more dangerous.

You're kind of just ridiculously ill informed. The only reason you hear so much about pit bull attacks is because of assholes who breed them for fighting. The media blew everything out of proportion and now these dogs have a bad rap. Same with rotties as well.

As I said in my other post, if the breed of a dog was anything else the breed would probably be an arbitrary thing in the news article or left out of the article completely.

Have you ever seen a pit bull? They are huge, muscular dogs. You are completely and utterly delusional if you don't think a pit bull attack would be more horrendous than a beagle attack. Which dog would you choose to get attacked by? Would you get attacked by the pit because it's jaws don't lock? Good luck with that one.

Sure, pits rate well in temperament, but it's also a fact that a good deal of dog related fatalities are caused by pit bulls. They've been bred by some individuals for a good long while now to be vicious fighting dogs. It's in their genetics plain and simple.

I'm not saying that all pit bulls are terrible. My friend's mom has a pit bull and it's one of the nicest dogs I've ever encountered. I also realize that it could easily kill me on a bad day.

People who ramble off pit bull statistics in their defense without context, leading to death and babies getting their testicles ripped off, make me ill.

ANY dog could kill you on a bad day. and yes, i have seen and worked with pit bulls; i volunteered at the humane society, which in my city, is probably 80% pit bulls (as opposed to other breeds of dogs). all pit bulls are most definitely NOT 'huge and muscular'. i also never stated that a pit bull attack would be less horrendous than a beagle, just that beagles, temperment wise, are more predisposed to being nasty dogs.

i have no idea what you're referring to when you insinuate that i'm rambling off statistics without context. any animal is potentially dangerous when left alone with children. these dogs could have had poor experiences with children in the past, or any number of things that triggered their actions.

also, read up on the history of the pit bull and its breeding before talking about things that you think are 'plain and simple': http://www.badrap.org/rescue/breed.html

the bottom line is that ALL pet owners need to be vigilant, regardless of breed, or things like this can always happen. to make sweeping generalizations like the originator of this thread is just ignorant and backwards.

You're kind of just ridiculously ill informed. The only reason you hear so much about pit bull attacks is because of assholes who breed them for fighting. The media blew everything out of proportion and now these dogs have a bad rap. Same with rotties as well.

As I said in my other post, if the breed of a dog was anything else the breed would probably be an arbitrary thing in the news article or left out of the article completely.

How am I misinformed? All I said was the ones I (me, myself) hear about and the ones I see on the news that are really bad or deadly usually involve pitts. Im not stating any statistics about dog attacks. Just going on my time that Ive been alive, the majority of dog attacks Ive heard about involve a pitt bull.

Yes, pitts get a bad rap but they are capable of killing a human. Just like any other big, strong dog like them. Most other dogs do not kill people.

Please explain to me how this dog will kill me on a bad day?

[image]

Unless I am opened up on an operating table and my aorta has just been sutured back together using only peanut butter and one of these monsters stumbles in while I am left alone, this dog is never going to kill me.

I made a reference to context because your argument was that pit bulls rate better than other dogs in temperament tests, while completely failing to mention that the 16% of pits with bad temperament account for over half of reported attacks (http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf)

I don't debate that ultimately the responsibility rests on the shitty owners the majority of the time, but how many people need to get injured to prove a point. When you say things as simple as "Pit bulls are very friendly and were bred not to bite humans", while ignoring the fact that most reported attacks are by pit bulls, you are just fueling the cycle of shitty owners who believe their pit bull will never hurt anyone.

ITT: People who are completely missing the point that the mother was completely at fault in the first place for leaving her INFANT UNSUPERVISED around an animal.

Infants (or any younger child) should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER be left unattended for ANY REASON WHATSOEVER around any sort of animal. That is just common sense. And that child is suffering because his mother is a moron.

But no. It's just too easy to blame it on a breed of dog.