Can anyone convert VHS/DVD+Rs to .avi?

kouka

I have a bunch of VHS and DVD+Rs that I want to keep the shows of, but I don't want to keep all of the VHS tapes and DVDs.

Here is the list: http://www.phishhook.com/lists//kouka?listid=4

If anyone would want to take on the project of transferring them to .avi files, obviously you would get to have the shows too, and the hard copies if you want.

It's gonna be tough to find someone that will do this for free, simply because it's so time consuming (and space consuming on the computer's hard drive, an hour of uncompressed video = 2-4GB). Transferring a two hour show takes two hours (not including compressing/rendering), and it looks like you've got a bunch of shows.

Good luck, the free show hookup is cool, but you'll probably have to offer some monetary compensation for anyone on here (or anywhere) to do it. They'll just end up on YouTube anyway.

I had someone do it for free in the past to get a bunch of the better copies on DVDR, but that was years ago when you couldn't access a lot of this stuff on youtube. And I don't care if they end up there, I just want to keep them without needing to store boxes of videos.

Maybe I'll just look into doing this myself.

Has anyone done this before, and have suggestions for hard/software?

I'm in the same boat as you. I have hundreds of VHS tapes I want to convert. I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500-Touch-Capture-Device/product-reviews/B000VM60I8/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_5?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addFiveStar&showViewpoints=0

For only thirty bucks, it worked fine for the most part. But sometimes, the audio would eventually get out of sync with the video. I have no tolerance for that. It only seemed to happen towards the end of a long tape, though. A lot of my tapes are 6-8 hours long and tend to have a lot of filler in them. Since I didn't want to babysit the process, I intended to do all the editing after the fact. If your videos are shorter in length, this probably won't pose a problem for you. I had transferred a lot of tapes before I noticed the audio sync problem and before I realized the avi files were too big to transfer from my work laptop to my home computer. At least to my knowledge. The combination of those two things frustrated me to the point of giving up for the time being and tackling a different project.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking another shot at the process and I'd LOVE to have a lot of your shows. I'd definitely do it for free. Hell, I'd like to acquire copies of a lot of your shows in a VHS or DVD format. I'll give this a whirl again this weekend.

But those avi files were massive, how would someone get them to you?

Transferring videos takes time but it's not a huge deal. Start one up, cook dinner and eat, start up another, go to sleep, done in the morning. Repeat everyday. It's like a minute of work followed by 2 hours of waiting. Just do it yourself. Once you get a rhythm, it's nothing. Lot's of back and forth shipping of technology is unnecessary.