I really like Pirates Press

I always feel like it's scoring on Halloween when I open a record and see it was made by Pirates Press. The colors are delicious.

Now, the labels are a bummer. And the surface noise is bad, especially with head phones. However, I find due to the same thing that makes the surface noise, you get a really warmer sounding record. My PP records really sound alive.

click me

In my opinion it could be sold for $40, which would be more reasonable. For me it was a buy once (plus my dad and i split it) and be done with it for now. Maybe if I felt like dishing out tons of money I could have gotten a vpi or something intense, but this does the job for me.

From what I have read if they are taken care of then you really should only need to clean them once for a very very very long time. Before listening to each side of a record (while spinning on tt) I pass an anti-static brush.

What I Do:

--I get my record (on a chair I put the original covers and keep the order from first cleaned on top to most recent on bottom)

--Clean it (takes about 30 seconds or so, 360 one way then 360 the other)

--Lay the cleaned one on a microfiber cloth (some fancy ones I bought and use for my car)

--Clean the next record.

--Take the one on the microfiber cloth (I flipped it over once) and set on my couch; leaned up against it (it is leather)

--Place the just cleaned on on the cloth.

--Repeat process over and over.

--Once my couch is full about 5 records leaned against the back part air-drying then I start the complete cycle.

--The one that has been on the couch the longest gets wiped by microfiber to ensure it is dry.

--It is put in a new inner sleeve.

--It is put in an outer sleeve separate from the record sleeve....

As in my personal preference is to put the original sleeve (keep the contents, lyric sheets, original inner sleeves [if printed on or something otherwise they are tossed out] inside the original cover) in a new outer sleeve and behind it put the record inside its respective inner sleeve.

Basically I always have about 6 to 7 out. One just sitting on a microfiber cloth, one being cleaned, and 5 on my couch with another microfiber cloth on the couch and on my dinner table a stack of inner sleeves and outer sleeves.

Well that was a lot of text.

Good luck!

I love the records made my Pirates Press. It is a bit annoying with the "sand" residue, but man, the sheer beauty of the vinyl make me not even care that much. I just wipe the record once with a micro-fiber cloth and then use an anti-static record cleaning brush (Audioquest makes the best one IMO) and it's golden.