Stylus Force Gauge?

That's a good price. There are a lot of things that are ridiculously priced in the world of audio and a $200 digital stylus force gauge is one of them. Sometimes things are so expensive because of low manufacture numbers or high QC loses, but something like this should be cheap. I bought one to check it out. I have a Shure and it's OK. It definitely does the job, but could be seen as a bit inaccurate, or "close enough". It may be junk, or maybe won't last long, but for $20, it's worth a shot.

It wasn't one of the Amazon ones above but I have tried one of this style of cheaper digital unit and could get different readings pretty much every time I used it. It was a cheap ebay impulse purchase but I don't trust it and it just sits in it's box now.

If people are having good experiences with them I might see if I can get one over here but until then I will still use my trusty Garrard SPG3

I still think the Shure is a great deal for the price and I do consider the "no batteries required" aspect rather appealing as well. It might be a little "innacurate" but I doubt that's even noticeable (probably talking all of +/- 0.05g or so) on a digital scale as long as you take the time to set up your cart properly to begin with. Balance is balance so as long as you set it to the correct weight that shouldn't be an issue. I can really never see that thing breaking either since it's all analog and rather simple.

I'm a little curious now though so I might shell out the $20 for the digital scale just to do a comparison to see for myself. Either way, it's quite obvious you can get the tracking force set rather easily and accurately for under $20 and is a rather basic essential piece of equipment, in my opinion.

I still think the Shure is a great deal for the price and I do consider the "no batteries required" aspect rather appealing as well. It might be a little "innacurate" but I doubt that's even noticeable (probably talking all of +/- 0.05g or so) on a digital scale as long as you take the time to set up your cart properly to begin with. Balance is balance so as long as you set it to the correct weight that shouldn't be an issue. I can really never see that thing breaking either since it's all analog and rather simple.

I'm a little curious now though so I might shell out the $20 for the digital scale just to do a comparison to see for myself. Either way, it's quite obvious you can get the tracking force set rather easily and accurately for under $20 and is a rather basic essential piece of equipment, in my opinion.

Agreed on both points.

So I checked it about 10 times and 5 of those times it came in at 2.2 which is exactly where it should be. the other times it gave me a range around +/- .1, but it wasn't hard to double and triple check for consistency. I mean, so far, it's good. Not awesome, but if I wanted awesome (for a SFG?) I guess I would pay 7-10 times what I paid.

Mine arrived on Friday. I calibrated it and re set my arm to start fresh, it weighed in at 1.73, which is about right for my cartridge, pretty happy with it. I do agree, its not great but it is a good value. Espically when you dont need to use this thing everyday. I couldnt imagine spending $100 plus on something like this.

• 2 weeks later...