Getting tired of a certain genre?

Guest stl_ben.

I of course try to listen to as many various genres as I can encounter, but from 2008-2011 folk was my go-to, most often listened to genre. I've noticed in the past few years I've been less inclined to find new folk artists though (although my interest in my all-time favorites hasn't diminished.) I think, at least in my opinion, no artists in the genre I've encountered in recent years have struck me as unique or extremely interesting. Also though I must consider the fact that growing up I always prioritized lyricism over composition and instrumental integrity. This has been changing since 2010 whenever my interest in various forms of shoegaze and atmospheric metal began increasing.. two genres which obviously let emphasis fall away from the lyrics, instead using the voice as another instrumental component, if at all. In the past couple years I think garage rock revivalism has been my go-to genre on the iPod. I'm attracted to its carefree, sunny slack. Whenever it starts to taste stale to my ears I usually mix it up with some contrastingly dark-synth drenched or aggressively marching post-punk revivalism. Often Copenhagen stuff.

I think the key is to have varying genres to swim around from shore to shore in.

This exactly. When stuff starts to feel stale, I head elsewhere for a while and then I can come back to it later and it's easier on the ears.

Yeah, I don't stick to one genre. I, however, do get tired of genres from time to time. For example, I've been into _____core for years, but I'm at the point where very few bands of that heavy genre satisfy me. I'm blown away at times when I see people stick to only one genre.

Anyway, music doesn't define me; I define me. I'm not in high school anymore. :-)

Oh, to the guy getting into post-rock, check out Hiss Tracts. Songs are a little short for me, but they fall in that category.