appropriate tape deck

Go to your local Goodwill/similar store.

Try to avoid double cassette decks, although some are okay. Use your best judgement.

I got lucky on a mid 90's Sony for literally pocket change. It needed new belts, yours most likely will too. Probably won't be expensive, depending on the brand/model.

3 head preferably and anything big name brand that has a high model number in it's range.

Nakamichi, Revox, Studer, Pioneer, Aiwa, Akai, Rotel, Technics, Onkyo, JVC etc. down really but the comment about doubles is valid, they tended to be poor quality in comparison to the single decks.

Try this website to home in on the specs and model numbers.

http://www.vintagecassette.com/

Which tape formats are you looking to use?

Cassettes : nakamichi

8 tracks: who gives a shit

Elcasset: see above

4 track, rca, etc: see above

Home use reels: teac/tascam, pioneer, technics

Studio: well, any 15 ips 2 tracker will get you half way there. Otari, studer, technics, tascam

Studio multitrack: 3m, ampex, studer, Scully, mci, pick your poison...

• 8 months later...

What's the difference between a three head and a two head?

I've got a JVC KD-A11 which has two heads... It's probably old, ~1980, but works. Can I do anything to improve it? Besides cleaning it.

http://www.manualscenter.com/manuals/jvc/kda11-service-manual.html#.VQkyHM1yTVM

the clue is in the question. A 3 head has 3 heads and a 2 head has 2. The heads refer to the thing that magnetises or demagnetises the tape.

What this means is that a 3 head deck has a separate tape head for each function, erase, record, play but a 2 head uses the same tape head for record and play and as with anything in audio you want a thing that does one job at a time as anything that tries to do more than one job is a compromise.

The good news for those of us that still use tape is that as tape is a bit of a dead format good 3 head decks are pretty easy to get for no money, unless of course they have a Nakamichi or Revox/Studer badge

Simply put yes you would notice it in both recording and playback quality but not always just because the machine is 3 head as for all manufacturers the 3 head machines were their better machines so everything else in there would be better quality than their 2 head machines.

Another advantage of a 3 head machine is that you can monitor exactly what you are taping as you tape it, because they have separate heads for record and play on a lot of 3 head machines you can play back the recording whilst still recording.

Anyone in the US looking for a tape deck? I've got a Luxman K-112 3 Head for sale. $50ppd, exactly what I paid for it (thing is heavy, so shipping will be the bulk of it).

• 2 weeks later...

I kindof recently scored a Nakamichi 2 head for $10. I honestly never use it but I figured it's the only chance I'll ever get to own a Nak without breaking the bank. It's a very barebones deck from the mid-80's, probably bottom of the line.

I will say that regardless of being a BOTL two head deck, this Nak does produce the best sound I've ever heard from a cassette deck, even some costing many times more. Not good, mind you, but. Well. Good for cassette.

No idea about how well it records. if you were gonna do that, I would either say, get a 3 head Nak if you want best results, but I would also say "who cares", it's a cassette.

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried it and bought it - and realised that it's a bit fast... About 10% too fast. Is there anything I can do about that? Or am I out of luck?

The model is Akai GXC-704D. It sounds fine, otherwise.

Edit: Found the service manual and see that there should be a tape speed adjustment screw on the motor. But there is none. Guess I'm screwed.

Edit 2: Found out I didn't need a screw. I think I got it down to about 0.5 % too slow... ok? noticable?

This one, although hifiengine said it was a three head, is a two head. The playback volume is fine, but I can't get the recording level to a reasonable volume, it's too low. Is there an easy fix for this?

I've noticed there something on the bottom of the deck, if I turn it upside down, that says "Rec Level Adjust". And four holes, 2 for R and 2 for L. But I have no idea what to do with them?! The service manual says nothing about them.

If I put both channels into one of the MIC inputs, the volume is louder, but very weird and distorted, so it can record at loud volumes, at least...

• 2 months later...