PO: Owl John (Frightened Rabbit) - S/T

They sent this out today, for Owl John's debut album (Lead singer of Frightened Rabbit) 

Hello hi! Yes! 

It's another Owl John email with a few date updates and a bit of a backstory regarding the album, which is now finished and ready for the devouring. It has been a slightly longer journey than we expected, but everything takes as long as it takes I suppose. Initially, we wrote and recorded one piece of music per day at An Tobar on the Isle of Mull. Even though we essentially had an instrumental album at the end of the two weeks spent there in February, we still emerged thinking "fuck, that was quick" and gave ourselves a solid pat on the back. It should be all done within the next 2 weeks, aye? Nope. 

The problem being that I moved to Los Angeles one week after we left the studio on Mull. Not a problem as such, it's bloody lovely here, but it took some time to adjust and find things that I wanted/needed to write about. In time it did happen, and you can hear this city all over the album. A few of the songs are about that initial feeling of being an alien, in a literal sense. I am living here legally, but am still technically a real, live alien. It felt strange, stressful and thrilling at the same time. 

2cn86fm.png

The running order for the album is chronological, in that track one (Cold Creeps) is the song we had completed by the end of day one, and track ten (Stupid Boy) was the last piece to be recorded. It seemed fitting that the listener could perhaps hear the album develop and identify musical themes emerging in the same way as we did while we worked in the studio. Or maybe all that means nothing and life is a pointless nightmare. Hard to say really. 

So, on to those date updates. The album is ready for you to pre-order TODAY!

Digital and CD only at first. Apologies to the vinyl buyers, the vinyl will come just a little later. I know I know, I can hear you groan from where I sit in my house. It will hopefully only be a week or two after though. In the meantime, listen to something old and remember when mono was the 'thing'. For those of you who pre-order there will be a few wee gifts in the run up to the release date. You'll be the first to hear unreleased album tracks, I believe they call these "instant grats" in The Biz. I call it "rewarding people who still buy music, because they deserve it". 

Finally there are some UK solo dates on sale, tickets for these are now very limited so don't faff about! 

http://www.thestereoboutique.com/en/s/owl-john/

Looks like there is a LIMITED EDITION BUNDLE coming in the future! (not sure if it will include anything related to vinyl or not? hopefully not just a shirt and cd)   EDIT: BUNDLE IS A SHIRT AND PRINT (LIMITED TO 50)

• 2 weeks later...

Are you guys pre-ordering it now, or are you waiting to see if it gets released over here? Just kind of steep with that shipping. Not sure if I can swing it right now.

I will pick this up in store...unless the deluxe edition turns out to be something worth a larger price tag...

Edit: OK never mind the deluxe bundle is a Shirt and Print....dang! (print is limited to 50 so should sell out in a jiffy, but not my cup of tea! in store it is) 

• 2 months later...