Record player spinning too slow - please help!

I'll start off with a little bit of back story to catch everyone up. I purchased a Zenith A947 record player about 3-4 months ago. Everything about the record player worked fine at first until just within the last couple weeks me and my friends started noticing that at random moments songs would slow down for just a second before continuing to play like normal. It wasn't until today that one of my friends woke me up saying that the record playing was spinning really slow and now it won't play records correctly at all. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the belt maybe or what could be wrong with it? I can't seem to find out how to take the plate off to see underneath maybe if anyone could help me with that? Thanks!  

So I finally got the plate off and it seems as though there is no belt to begin with, not even a broken one or anything, it seems like this circular platform just rubs against a spinning spindle looking thing but there isn't quite enough tension to make it spin properly.. the spindle itself seems to be spinning fine though, I'm so confused!!

So I finally got the plate off and it seems as though there is no belt to begin with, not even a broken one or anything, it seems like this circular platform just rubs against a spinning spindle looking thing but there isn't quite enough tension to make it spin properly.. the spindle itself seems to be spinning fine though, I'm so confused!!

Does it look like a disc with small slits around the circumference of it?

I looked up idler and yea that's definitely what it is, my record player has a tone arm tuner thing as well i'm just not quite sure how to use it, or know if that would have anything to do with it, and the spindle think doesn't have rivets its just smooth and spins the idler i guess, but the idler is pressing up against it properly