Sixpack Shortcuts with Mike Chang

So I started this program last Monday. It's Day 12 in Phase 1 for me.

I know this has received a lot of criticism online, and people either hate Mike Chang (mainly based on his marketing shenanigans on Youtube) or love him. I read an honest review from a long-time personal trainer, and while he said a lot of it seemed odd (the way the workouts are set up in succession; the fact that a lot of it is BROscience), he said that it will work if you follow it.

I have vinyl weight sets at the house that were collecting dust, and a lot of this program is based on lifting weights, functional cardio (I HATE those days), and a "No Willpower Eating System" which is basically just eating lean protein and some good carbs (oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc) 4-5 meals a day. 

I have only lost 5 lbs so far, but my clothes are already fitting loose and I feel a TON better. I think that stems from the diet, and the fact that I quit drinking so much beer every day. 

Just curious if anyone has tried following this program, or has any experience with going from no workout/bad diet to a clean eating diet and weight lifting and what were your results?

I am hoping to be down 10 lbs by the end of Phase 1 (4 weeks), and I understand that weight lifting doesn't equate to losing weight, but I started at 255lbs, so I assume that I will shed some fat over the first month.

So I started this program last Monday. It's Day 12 in Phase 1 for me.

I know this has received a lot of criticism online, and people either hate Mike Chang (mainly based on his marketing shenanigans on Youtube) or love him. I read an honest review from a long-time personal trainer, and while he said a lot of it seemed odd (the way the workouts are set up in succession; the fact that a lot of it is BROscience), he said that it will work if you follow it.

I have vinyl weight sets at the house that were collecting dust, and a lot of this program is based on lifting weights, functional cardio (I HATE those days), and a "No Willpower Eating System" which is basically just eating lean protein and some good carbs (oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc) 4-5 meals a day. 

I have only lost 5 lbs so far, but my clothes are already fitting loose and I feel a TON better. I think that stems from the diet, and the fact that I quit drinking so much beer every day. 

Just curious if anyone has tried following this program, or has any experience with going from no workout/bad diet to a clean eating diet and weight lifting and what were your results?

I am hoping to be down 10 lbs by the end of Phase 1 (4 weeks), and I understand that weight lifting doesn't equate to losing weight, but I started at 255lbs, so I assume that I will shed some fat over the first month.

Focus on body fat % rather than your overall weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, but everybody knows that. 

Sounds like you should put some time into research. 

The end result of weight loss without lifting will be worse than had you done it the right way. I'm not familiar with your program, but thats a crazy statement. 

Focus on body fat % rather than your overall weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, but everybody knows that. 

Sounds like you should put some time into research. 

The end result of weight loss without lifting will be worse than had you done it the right way. I'm not familiar with your program, but thats a crazy statement. 

I should have specified "fat weight loss."

If I were interested in shedding the pounds fast, I would have went for a strict high-intensity cardio program. I was just trying to state that I understand that there will be an exchange of muscle for fat in the program that I am on, making weight loss a little slower at first.

Sorry for the confusion.

I started working out a little over a year ago because i was a little overweight for my size, i was 165 at 5' 5" and i actually did this program to start out. I followed it very tightly for the most part and i lost a little over 20 pounds and have pretty much kept off the weight and float around 145. i really started to notice the difference a week into the "second phase" so don't get discouraged if you don't see anything right away. the program really helped inspire me to want to try all kinds of different workout plans so hopefully it does the same for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know it sucks at the start of getting into shape, but I want to find something that I can at least look forward to doing some of the time. I want to feel better, look better, live longer, yadda yadda. None of that stuff matters if I can't be motivated to do something.

My coworkers and I did a 'biggest loser' challenge a year ago, where we all put in $25 a month and whoever lost the most weight at the end of the month would take the purse. That was a real motivator for me. I wouldn't have come in first probably because we ended after 2 months because everyone wussed out, but still. I lost 10 pounds over two months and was eating better.