Road Trip - November 2014!

RustyShackelford

So, my girlfriend and I have some vacation time to take before the end of the year and instead of flying somewhere and spending a ton of money on plane tickets, we're going to take a road trip somewhere. Now, we aren't exactly sure what we're going to do, but we have some idea. What i'm wanting in this thread are some ideas that you guys may have, places to go, see, stay or eat (and record stores!!!!)

The dates that we are going to be taking the road trip are Saturday November 15th to Sunday November 23rd. The only thing we have planned that is set in stone is a Primus show in Austin on the 15th to set off the trip. Originally we were going to head to California and visit a bunch of friends but we're worried that the drive will take up most of the time (26 hrs each way) and that we wouldn't get to spend adequate time with them. So, we're just going to have a somewhat loosely planned multi-stop trip and just wing it from there. 

Here is a list of our first idea of planning, if you see anything that might be on the way, or a totally different suggestion please recommend it. We aren't stuck on solely traveling west anywhere in the US is fair game.

Plan #1

November 15th - Austin, TX

November 16th - Roswell, NM

November 17th - Walter White's House/Drive to the Grand Canyon (or most of the way there)

November 18th - Grand Canyon/Start the Drive to Las Vegas

November 19th - Vegas

November 20th - Start the drive home

November 21st - Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo Texas

November 22nd - Home

As you can see, that plan gets us home with an extra day to spare, which probably isn't a bad idea just in case something happens that slows us down. Also, Las Vegas isn't 100% necessary since we were just there in May, and will be back this coming May, so that could potentially free up some days.

Anyway, give me ideas, do any of you live along that route? Do any of you that live in another direction have something cool that might be near you? Willing to put us up for a night?

Lets do this!

Definitely do the Grand Canyon if you can, way worth it. Skip Cadillac Ranch unless you're really looking forward to it. I've seen it from the highway, it's nothing impressive.

White Sands National Monument sounds like it might be on your way back and looks pretty cool. 

and if you can go up north a few hours to Zion National Park after Vegas, DO IT.