Help me eliminate some humming

So my set up is:

Pro-ject RPM 1.3

Pro-ject Phono Box MM

Audioengine A2s

I'm getting hum on mid to high volumes through the speakers only when something is inputing into them. With the turntable off and only the preamp connected I still get hum so it can't be the turntable. I've switched preamps too and still the same. It's only noticeable between tracks or at the beginning of a LP. 

It can be one of the down sides of powered speakers. putting the power supply and the stuff that makes and sends out the noise in the same box makes it pretty difficult to stop this sort of noise breakthrough.

If it's not a ground loop as xxmartinxx suggests there are things you can do but I suspect it's the power supply inside the speakers you need to suppress.

I suspect it's more of a problem for you guys in the US as you don't tie one side of your mains down to ground as we do here.

Putting a hum eliminator in the pathway was my best shot... I give up. I just want a nice pair of powered speakers. Bought mine used from Craigslist, and kept them under the assumption I'd be able to fix the hum problem later.

You bought them with the hum issue?

Have you done what I suggested and invert the plug?

Tried a dozen RCA cables... Haven't tried the manufacturer thing... And nice shot with the "real audio equipment" comment. haha I'm slightly insulted and kind of nodding yes in approval. As for buying more audio equipment, don't think I ever will due to space and especially money.

That was too tempting to resist, however, to a certain degree with audio, you get what you pay for.  Sometimes you pay for poorly designed, poorly shielded headaches.

One possibility, when you say you use the aux input no hum but RCA you get hum do you mean you are using a 3.5mm jack plug? If so then you have an audio ground missing on the RCA side somewhere as they are a common pin in the 3.5mm plug.

And another thought, not knowing these is the power brick giving out AC or DC?

if it's DC then getting a higher current output/better quality one could help. If it's AC the problem is either as xxmartinxx says a ground loop or the rectification/regulation inside the psu section in the speakers, in which case if it's not a ground loop it's going to be harder to get rid of.

Try swapping the plug around to see if it is ground loop, it's worth a go, also cable routing as well as the cables could be acting as an antenna and picking up a hum but I am clutching at straws at this point.

To be honest it's most likely somewhere in the Power supply be it the brick or inside the speakers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...