U-Turn Platter question

I'd think that spending $90 on a better cartridge or $30 on a clever clamp would give more bang for the buck but it's all speculation.

Fair point on the cart but if I was buying new and there was an acrylic option I'd pay the money and upgrade the cart later, as you say it's all speculation though, everything does need to be at a good enough level to get the best out of the acrylic platter or a decent cart in the first place.

Fair point on the cart but if I was buying new and there was an acrylic option I'd pay the money and upgrade the cart later, as you say it's all speculation though, everything does need to be at a good enough level to get the best out of the acrylic platter or a decent cart in the first place.

Right now I plan on getting the Grado Black for my cart. Would that be good enough to notice a difference with the acrylic or would I be better off going with the Grado Blue up front and then waiting to upgrade to the acrylic platter?

Right now I plan on getting the Grado Black for my cart. Would that be good enough to notice a difference with the acrylic or would I be better off going with the Grado Blue up front and then waiting to upgrade to the acrylic platter?

Grado's are definately a matter of taste so I would listen to one if you can but the upside with them is that you can buy the bottom of the range body and later on fit the top of the range stylus.

I have done and like it very much but them I like the Grado sound

If you want to upgrade the cart and the platter, you're probably better of paying $299 for the Orbit Plus.  But once you get into that kind of money, there are other options close to that price range.

A good point but not having heard an Orbit let alone one with an acrylic platter (I don't think one has hit these shores yet) I wouldn't like to say whether it's good value or not. With a unipivot arm and acrylic platter the ingredients are there but that doesn't mean it's right.

I've love to do an AB test between say an Orbit a Project and a Rega, I think I know what the outcome would be but without actually doing it can't say for sure.

Unlike a CD player or other digital source there are so many variables in a turntable it makes this sort of thing compelling and frustrating in equal measure

Martin and Allen head to head!

Most people, I am certainly one, don't have the resources to ABC a U-turn, Project, and Rega.

I blindly bought my Project Debut Carbon back in March. Obviously coming from an LP60 into computer speakers, it blew me away. Now, while I'm still very satisfied with it, I am familiar with some minor shortcomings that, from what I have understood, the Rega equivalent would be slightly closer to par on. Overall feel of tonearm, longer more grippable lever, my Carbon spins 33.4 RPM instead of the exact 33.3, not perfectly level when sitting on flat surfaces (then again, my desk is on carpeting)... etc etc.

Got my Project for $360 shipped. For me, it's all about the upgrading game now. No plans to buy a new table for quite a long time.

What Allen and Martin were trying to say is that it's likely that the Rega Project options are the better in the ballpark once you are in the price range of Uturn Plus. Not for certain because they haven't heard it, but likely and I would agree. Always try to remember the quality of things identified as "Budget" or advertised as being the best bang for your buck usually only goes to a certain degree.

If the $ is what you're concerned about and why you're observing the Uturn, consider this: I never saw myself owning a Debut Carbon for the price tag alone. I got my tax return and saved some extra, and bought it and was so glad I did. It's hard for me to imagine I'd be this same satisfied if I bought the Orbit.

A good point but not having heard an Orbit let alone one with an acrylic platter (I don't think one has hit these shores yet) I wouldn't like to say whether it's good value or not. With a unipivot arm and acrylic platter the ingredients are there but that doesn't mean it's right.

It has! I own one and I'm very pleased with it. However, I don't know all the technical doodads and other information, I just know it looks pretty and sounds nice. 

This has been an informative post by Logan.

I have the ability to A/B compare a Rega and a Pro-Ject but they're on different levels of my house and I'm far too lazy. My Pro-Ject has a acrylic platter and I love it. The fact that there's basically no static with it is enough of a reason to get one I think.

Have you got an acrylic platter for the Rega or is it the glass or the fibre one?

I'm tempted to buy one and fuck around with it.

So am I. I might get my dad to order one for me to pick up the next time I’m in the US.

In my experience with any turntable provided the bearings are all of a decent enough standard and the geometry is correct there is a lot you can do to make them better like platter material, arm wiring motor/supply and speed stability.

I attacked an AT-120 a while ago and was amazed how good a turntable it came out as by replacing some things, removing others and effectively what would be called blueprinting (in the engine building world) the electronics.

[quote name="allenh" post="2052654" timestamp="1411804815

In my experience with any turntable provided the bearings are all of a decent enough standard and the geometry is correct there is a lot you can do to make them better like platter material, arm wiring motor/supply and speed stability.

I attacked an AT-120 a while ago and was amazed how good a turntable it came out as by replacing some things, removing others and effectively what would be called blueprinting (in the engine building world) the electronics.

I'd love to read a post all about these mods!

Also, speaking of speed stability. My project spins at 33.4 rpm is there anything I can do to adjust? No good with mechanics though :/

I'd love to read a post all about these mods!

Also, speaking of speed stability. My project spins at 33.4 rpm is there anything I can do to adjust? No good with mechanics though :/

Without some sort of speed control no and as the correct speed is 33.333333333333333 then 33.4 is well within tolerance for that deck