If I had $1000, what deck would you recommend?

Hi all

I'll upgrade eventually, and when i do, i would like to spend some serious money on it. anywhere up to a thousand bucks (£500, AU$1200).

suggestions please, my vinyl loving friends!!!

i want to bring the most out of my ever-growing post-rock collection and nullify the dreaded inner groove distortion.

Its not just about the turntable. If you have a $1000 'table playing through crappy speakers and such, you're not going to notice a great improvement. You need to make sure to invest in other quality components- amp, preamp (if you don't have an integrated amp), and speakers.

If you want to drop $1000 look into models from Rega, Music Hall, etc. Lots of good options in that range.

Its not just about the turntable. If you have a $1000 'table playing through crappy speakers and such, you're not going to notice a great improvement. You need to make sure to invest in other quality components- amp, preamp (if you don't have an integrated amp), and speakers.

If you want to drop $1000 look into models from Rega, Music Hall, etc. Lots of good options in that range.

i've got a Rotel integrated amp and bi-wire, wooden cased speakers with woofers and seperate tweaters, so i get a real nice sound out of my current set-up. i just wanna eventually take it to the next level.

i've got a Rotel integrated amp and bi-wire, wooden cased speakers with woofers and seperate tweaters, so i get a real nice sound out of my current set-up. i just wanna eventually take it to the next level.

i will definitely check those models you mentioned. cheers!! :)

buy a $100 turntable a $100 needle then spend the other $800 on records or upgrade the rest of your stereo.

my current deck+needle is probably fairly equiv to your reckoning, but i do get quite a lot of inner groove distortion on some records and i hate that so much. it makes some of the last tracks on each side of some of the offending LPs virtually unlistenable.

so whilst the excellent stereo+speaker setup does a fantastic job providing the amplification, the player lets it down sometimes.

i have a goldring G1.2 and while it is a very nice unit for the price, it is a budget model and i'm beginning to get restless for a bigger, better baby.

Guest falloutcollapse
buy a $100 turntable a $100 needle then spend the other $800 on records or upgrade the rest of your stereo.

but i do get quite a lot of inner groove distortion on some records and i hate that so much. it makes some of the last tracks on each side of some of the offending LPs virtually unlistenable.

This happens to me too, especially on my Set Your Goals LP. I don't know why it's particularly on this one, but it sucks.

I'm currently without a turntable. I've check all of the Goodwills around here to salvage and possibly repair one but I haven't had any luck. I made a post on another forum regarding purchasing a turntable and it seemed that ALOT of people recommended the Technics SL1210MK2. While I'd LOVE to have such a nice player, I certainly don't have $400 to spend on a turntable currently.

What would you guys recommend I purchase for as cheap as possible online?