As a newbie, how can I know when something is reallywrong with my rig and when I'm just being crazy?

There's a video just to show you guys what I'm talking about specifically. Around :30 on is the type of tick I'm mainly experiencing. There can be more or less individual ticks then that usually, and I almost always hear it between tracks, even on freshly cleaned records. Thanks all!

It's very close to as normal as can be. You keep saying "freshly washed" which has me worried - this is a common issue if the record isn't dried properly. Water sticks around for a long time in the tiny grooves, and can make sounds. Any other possibilities outside of what we mentioned would be tone-arm weight and counterweight. I set mine based on the instructions I believe came with the table, or that I found somewhere online and haven't had issues.  

Also have to consider what records you're testing on - I don't recognize the song (sorry). But, if all the records your testing are from like Victory records or something, I'd be less surprised if they all had minor imperfections (no offense to anyone) but if they are from a spread of labels it might be table related.

Also, what volume are you playing this at? If the volume is cranked to 11 the cracks and pops can be jarring. They are the needle literally popping up out of the tiny groove sometimes, which will be magnified more than the music. So, if it's at normal volume and you're still hearing it MUCH louder than the music it might be something else.

But, honestly, I didn't really even hear it until I cranked my laptop volume to max and listened close at :30, so I think you're okay :) Give it a week or two to sink in, it's a different type of sound.

It's very close to as normal as can be. You keep saying "freshly washed" which has me worried - this is a common issue if the record isn't dried properly. Water sticks around for a long time in the tiny grooves, and can make sounds. Any other possibilities outside of what we mentioned would be tone-arm weight and counterweight. I set mine based on the instructions I believe came with the table, or that I found somewhere online and haven't had issues.  

Also have to consider what records you're testing on - I don't recognize the song (sorry). But, if all the records your testing are from like Victory records or something, I'd be less surprised if they all had minor imperfections (no offense to anyone) but if they are from a spread of labels it might be table related.

Also, what volume are you playing this at? If the volume is cranked to 11 the cracks and pops can be jarring. They are the needle literally popping up out of the tiny groove sometimes, which will be magnified more than the music. So, if it's at normal volume and you're still hearing it MUCH louder than the music it might be something else.

But, honestly, I didn't really even hear it until I cranked my laptop volume to max and listened close at :30, so I think you're okay :) Give it a week or two to sink in, it's a different type of sound.

I only washed a couple records with solution, so that shouldn't really be playing into the issue. I did set the counterweight to instructions right out of the box, would it make sense to re-calibrate that? I've carefully moved the turntable to different rooms a few times with the tone arm secured, so I don't know if it might have been thrown out of whack. I'm listening at a medium volume, and the sounds are never louder than the music, they're audible only when the music is quiet and pretty much always between tracks. All of my records (7 at the moment) are fairly varied but are all very modern pressings, which I've heard can be less than perfect. Anyway, thanks so much for your help!

How are you wet cleaning? Without a vacuum you're just...wasting your time.

Also a lot of you have this many issues? I rarely get any sound imperfections. You don't listen to vinyl for bad sounding music. I think some of you are missing the point here.

I probably am then, I'm using a method off reddit.com/r/vinyl with an isopropyl/distilled water solution and microfiber cloth. If you had to guess, what would my (or our) problem likely be? Is there something off with my equipment somehow, or are my new pressings just less than great?

As you're new here, you probably haven't read a lot of my rants involving home brewed record cleaning solution.

In summary: all that cheap non-lab grade materials people use to make their solution is full of contaminants that cause bad sound.

Also, microfiber cloths push dirt and grime into grooves. A vacuum is needed with all wet cleaning.

Pops and clicks come from static and dirt. Clean stylus and clean record, free of static = clean sound.

I'd also like to add in that when I first got my debut carbon the static was horrible, it was my first table and almost turned me off of vinyl. Within a month I switched to the acrylic platter and that definitely helped. A few other things to try:

- Before putting it on the platter run your hand around the edge of record, this can help dissipate built up static

- Double check your VTF and anti-skate... I'm assuming you're running the Ortofon 2M red cartridge? I ran mine at 1.9g and the anti-skate on the middle notch.

- Invest in a VTF gauge, even if it's just one of the cheap plastic type. Obviously a good digital would be better but then you're looking at $100+

- Double check the cartridge alignment, even though mine was factory fit I found a noticeable sound improvement after re-aligning it myself using a Baerwald "stupid" protractor from Vinyl engine. Do some research before attempting this, it can be very confusing and frustrating and don't be impatient or you risk damaging your stylus (voice of experience unfortunately).

- Make sure the turntable is as close to level as possible! Do this by removing the felt mat and putting a 12" (or similar) level on the platter. Check side to side and then front to back. Make adjustments and re-check.

- Next time you're out shopping pickup a Mr. Clean magic eraser pad. Great for stylus maintenance (Google it)

No one was saying your records should all be noisy. We were trying to explain to a new record collector that imperfections exist and it's nothing to freak out about.

But, whatever, lol.

Throw your table out! Buy a new one! and a new amp! and new speakers! never use standard cartridges! get mofi sleeves and a Vacuum cleaner! remove all your carpets for less static! seal all your windows and vents for less dust!

No one was saying your records should all be noisy. We were trying to explain to a new record collector that imperfections exist and it's nothing to freak out about.

But, whatever, lol.

Throw your table out! Buy a new one! and a new amp! and new speakers! never use standard cartridges! get mofi sleeves and a Vacuum cleaner! remove all your carpets for less static! seal all your windows and vents for less dust!

Not saying any of that, just saying imperfections don't have to exist, and that I'd rather fix a problem than trick myself into thinking the problem is part of the fun.

People may get into records for a million reasons other than sound quality, but this dude's setup is pretty fucking decent for a beginner, way better than mine was, and he seems to be expressing disappointment in sound quality due to surface noise. Which can be fixed.

I'd say if these little imperfections are bothering you then a proper record cleaning machine will be your best choice. 

I have some friends that never clean their records... ever. Drives me crazy, but it doesn't bother them. Do they get any less enjoyment out of their music than i do? No way. To each his own.