Should I sell 2 SL-MK5Gs in order to upgrade to a single, better table?

Long story short, I no longer need both turntables and was wondering if i should hold on to them and use just one for listening/converting to digital or sell them and upgrade to a better table.

I think the MK5Gs are cool and I'd like to hold on to them but I'd need to sell them in order to upgrade so my wife doesn't murder me in my sleep.

So I'm just curious as to what people think regarding the sound quality of the MK5Gs compared to a table in the $800-1200 range. I currently have sets of M44-7s that I swap when listening vs. mixing/scratching but maybe a higher end needle would help too?

I'm asking here because you guys seem to know your shit. I've never been much of an audiophile and I figured if I just read previous posts/google search results, I'd spend hours searching/reading and would probably end up being only marginally less clueless/uneducated on the subject than I am now.

Thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated.

Yeah dude, get an RP3 or something similar.  It will sound way better than your technics, just don't scratch with it.

Thanks. Reviews are super good and it even looks really cool.

I'm done w/ scratching any way. I was always at that level where I was decent but didn't feel comfortable doing it w/ people on the dance floor. I didn't want to be one of those dudes that didn't realize he was terrible at it and end up just irritating/annoying people. I've seen to many of those guys. Only slightly less annoying than a DJ's hype man who never shuts the hell up.

IMO an RP3 isn't going to sound THAT much better than a 1200 at all, plus it's a big adjustment going from the super solid direct drive experience of the 1200 to a belt drive table where you have to remove the platter and adjust the belt just to spin a 45. Also, Regas and tables like that will always be there. If you regretted the move and wanted to go back to the Tech you'd have to overpay for what you already have. The MK5 is an awesome table on it's own, I'd sell one of them and spend the money on a good cart like an Ortofon 2M Bronze or Black or a Nagaoka 500 or something like that.

IMO an RP3 isn't going to sound THAT much better than a 1200 at all, plus it's a big adjustment going from the super solid direct drive experience of the 1200 to a belt drive table where you have to remove the platter and adjust the belt just to spin a 45. Also, Regas and tables like that will always be there. If you regretted the move and wanted to go back to the Tech you'd have to overpay for what you already have. The MK5 is an awesome table on it's own, I'd sell one of them and spend the money on a good cart like an Ortofon 2M Bronze or Black or a Nagaoka 500 or something like that.

Depends on the rest of the system, into a higher end amp and speakers the Rega will win over the Mk5 every time mostly because of the Rega arm.

That said the advice on relative values and selling one Mk5 and keeping the other is a good point and probably the way I would go in your shoes for now. You will get a good lump of cash from selling one and that would give a lot of choices hifi table wise both old and new.

What is the rest of your system? And are you thinking of changing any of that as well? That would give people a better frame of reference for suggestions.

True, I was making an assumption that since he is coming from a DJ/Turntablist background he probably isn't rocking a vintage all tube set-up or anything too high end. Apologies if I assumed incorrectly. I still say flip one and upgrade something else, a better cart, speakers, or amp will probably be a bigger improvement than going to the RP3.

The hassle of selling and buying isn't worth it IMO for the Rega, you'd be more cost effective selling one and upgrading speakers and cartridge then modding your remaining TT. Pick up a proper preamp as well. Speed stability has always been an issue with Regas, your Technics wipes the floor in that regard, materials wise yes not as an advanced arm but still pretty good. Manual belt change would annoy me also.

I had a high end semi-auto Dual (well still do) before getting an SL-1200 MK2, enjoying my records more than ever now. The MK5s are a rarer table now I wouldn't want to part with them.

True, I was making an assumption that since he is coming from a DJ/Turntablist background he probably isn't rocking a vintage all tube set-up or anything too high end. 

Ya, you're totally right. The rest of my setup will probably be considered laughable here but I currently have my tables running through two DJ mixers a Numark dxmpro and a Vestax PMC-07pro & Event 20/20 powered monitors. I use the 2nd mixer to control the output from my computer and the TTs so I can hear both at the same time or individually. One mixer will be eliminated when I switch to only using one TT.

The majority of my sit down and actual listen to music time is done with headphones on so I'm not really looking to upgrade my speakers.

Thanks.

You're probably best off staying pretty much as you are then. Unless you are going to change your whole setup to a pure hifi one to be honest you are wasting your money spending any money on a different table as your Mk5's are more than good enough for the way you are listening to vinyl.

Pack one of your Technics away unless you need to sell it, stay with the better of the two mixers and use a half decent cart you like the sound of.

You could spend a bundle of money on a new table but it would be a waste and selling one of your Mk5's unless you have to would also be a waste.

You're probably best off staying pretty much as you are then. Unless you are going to change your whole setup to a pure hifi one to be honest you are wasting your money spending any money on a different table as your Mk5's are more than good enough for the way you are listening to vinyl.

Pack one of your Technics away unless you need to sell it, stay with the better of the two mixers and use a half decent cart you like the sound of.

You could spend a bundle of money on a new table but it would be a waste and selling one of your Mk5's unless you have to would also be a waste.

This is what I will most likely do. The idea of upgrading to a better system sounds good but I realize I lack both the drive and patience to ever get around to doing this right.

Will definitely upgrade the cartridge to one that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks a lot everyone.

• 2 months later...

This times 100. You will find it very hard to move to a belt drive from a rock solid 1200. I recommend selling one and using the cash to upgrade your other one (if you are completely over the need for two 1200s that is, big decision I know).

I currently have a 1210 with an upgraded tonearm and wiring (The Wand tonearm, cardas wiring) and a Denon 301mk2 MC cartridge. The sound my 1210 makes is PHENOMENAL. Seriously awesome. The biggest point of a 1200 model is that their pitch is perfect when you use the quartz lock. You will not find a belt drive for under $2k that can match one for speed and play reliability. 

Go get yourself a decent MM cartridge if you do not have the option for MC, try a ortofon 2M bronze, or audio technica AT150mlx and you will be surprised what your technics will produce sound wise. I wouldn't recommend any other upgrades to the deck until after your system can show the differences (after further upgrades that is). Your event monitors should be relatively flat and will expose the improvements a better cartridge will bring, the only suspect in the chain is your mixers phono stages. There was only ever a few really good stages on club mixers when I was playing records out, Allen and Heath and the top end Pioneers. I never thought much of numarks stages, difference was night and day moving to a DJM 600.

Thanks for the advice. I've still yet to do anything other than decide I'm going to keep the 2nd turntable. I've decided to treat it like a firearm. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Just saving money now so I can go ahead and upgrade everything at once. That mixer you mentioned looks pretty nice too. Only reason I bought that Numark was cuz I burnt out two faders on the Vestax, was too lazy to replace them and needed something in a hurry. Just haven't really cared enough to replace it till now.

This times 100. You will find it very hard to move to a belt drive from a rock solid 1200. I recommend selling one and using the cash to upgrade your other one (if you are completely over the need for two 1200s that is, big decision I know).

I currently have a 1210 with an upgraded tonearm and wiring (The Wand tonearm, cardas wiring) and a Denon 301mk2 MC cartridge. The sound my 1210 makes is PHENOMENAL. Seriously awesome. The biggest point of a 1200 model is that their pitch is perfect when you use the quartz lock. You will not find a belt drive for under $2k that can match one for speed and play reliability. 

Go get yourself a decent MM cartridge if you do not have the option for MC, try a ortofon 2M bronze, or audio technica AT150mlx and you will be surprised what your technics will produce sound wise. I wouldn't recommend any other upgrades to the deck until after your system can show the differences (after further upgrades that is). Your event monitors should be relatively flat and will expose the improvements a better cartridge will bring, the only suspect in the chain is your mixers phono stages. There was only ever a few really good stages on club mixers when I was playing records out, Allen and Heath and the top end Pioneers. I never thought much of numarks stages, difference was night and day moving to a DJM 600.

I disagree with all of that regarding decent belt drives and upgraded SL1200's and this will always be based on what you like the sound of, the biggest thing here is the way the OP is using his turntable which means he's just not going to get the benefit from a proper HiFi table.

I love the Technics SL's and used them professionally for years and have tried a few very upgraded ones but up against something like a Pink Triangle ( which over here you can get for a lot less than 2k ) with a decent lo output MC through a nice HiFi amp and speakers to my ears the upgraded 1200 just isn't as musical.

The Technics is a great TT, but you can do so much better for that price. Buy a Thorens with a good SME arm or a newer VPI and you're set. But first upgrade your cartridge. The earlier mentioned Ortofon Black, Nagaoka MP500 or Goldring 1042 are all excellent choices and a good match for the Technics arm. That Shure cart is pretty bad!