Pyramids - A Northern Meadow (Profound Lore)

i want the nadja collab pressed very badly. i thought that was their best work by far. Faith Coloccia even did the vinyl artwork, which was gorgeous. but instead, we got that half assed remix LP in a DJ sleeve. 

here's that artwork for those who haven't seen it: http://fireinfog.blogspot.com/2011/01/pyramids-with-nadja-layout-for-lp.html

i want the nadja collab pressed very badly. i thought that was their best work by far. Faith Coloccia even did the vinyl artwork, which was gorgeous. but instead, we got that half assed remix LP in a DJ sleeve.

here's that artwork for those who haven't seen it: http://fireinfog.blogspot.com/2011/01/pyramids-with-nadja-layout-for-lp.html

Yes, I've been hoping for this as well.

• 1 month later...

was the picture on the first page of all the members together on a couch not convincing enough?

Unfortunately not. I read Profound Lore's site and bandcamp page and there's no mention of M. Embree or R. Balling anywhere; unless they're using pseudonyms. 

It's mainly this style of music too for Embree that I don't believe. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I know quite a bit about him for various reasons and this seems like one of the last things he'd do in my opinion, sans power electronics or something. 

Agree, but it's not Embree's band, it's Rich Ballings, or R. Loren (pseudonym) Compared to Sailors With Wax Wings, it's not that odd, compared to Rx Bandits it's pretty much WTF?

Not sure if it's the music, or the fact that I am now aware of the TSOAF relation, but I'm digging what I've heard far less than the s/t.  Maybe it's just that the sense of mystery is gone, or maybe it's that I'm drawing completely different comparisons.

S/T felt like it turned out more atmospheric and dreamy/gazey.  This feels more like weird black metal influenced guitars crossed with industrial electronic beats, and I'm not sure if I'd be hearing it the same way if I still thought of them as the semi-anonymous Pyramids.

I know it isn't Embree's band but it still doesn't seem like something that would coincide with his artistic honesty (at the surface). And if R. Loren is Rich Balling, then it would make all the more sense, really.

As far as the sound goes, I like this style more than S/T so far. There were a few bangers on S/T, but I stated earlier in this thread it was a really bittersweet experience. One of those projects I really tried to like because Hydra Head.

Unfortunately not. I read Profound Lore's site and bandcamp page and there's no mention of M. Embree or R. Balling anywhere; unless they're using pseudonyms. 

It's mainly this style of music too for Embree that I don't believe. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I know quite a bit about him for various reasons and this seems like one of the last things he'd do in my opinion, sans power electronics or something. 

R. Loren, M. Dean, M. Craig, and D. William = Rich Loren Balling, Matthew Dean Embree, Matthew Craig Kelly, and David William Embree

do a google search on any of them and you'll see that those are their middle names. these are also the names in the liner notes for every Pyramids release.

how are you not getting this? in addition to this information, there is a picture of the band to top it off. not to mention Matt Kelly's vocals are unmistakable.

I don't care who's in the band, this stuff just sounds amazing

Not so much about who's in the band, or who isn't, for that matter. Just can't help but draw entirely different comparisons now, it's like a total paradigm shift.

S/T was more my taste anyway, though, or at least at the time that it came out it connected with me more, I should really revisit it. SWWW S/T is great too, need to revisit that as well.  Maybe this new one will connect after more listens.

Definitely not bad, just didn't grip me immediately the the other albums I mentioned.  I wasn't too into anything other than S/T tbh (Horseback collab, nadja* collab, mamiffer collab.)  I didn't even pick up the mamiffer collab, and I used to collect everything ELLH and Mamiffer related, too.  But I had high hopes for this since its the proper follow-up to s/t... well I haven't heard the whole thing yet, and I might just pick it up on CD anyway and then end up liking it after a proper front-to-back listen.

[*]To be fair I probably never gave the nadja collab enough listening time.

R. Loren, M. Dean, M. Craig, and D. William = Rich Loren Balling, Matthew Dean Embree, Matthew Craig Kelly, and David William Embree

do a google search on any of them and you'll see that those are their middle names. these are also the names in the liner notes for every Pyramids release.

how are you not getting this? in addition to this information, there is a picture of the band to top it off. not to mention Matt Kelly's vocals are unmistakable.

I think they get it now, just kind of hard to believe at first.  I, too, thought, 'wow really? but pyramids and rxb don't sound very similar.'  Hell I even was friends with 'Rich Loren' as he was known on fb and knew him from Pyramids and SWWW, but I had also known of and listened to rxb and tsoaf and didn't even make that connection.  Until I learned the First initial Middle name format, that's when I was like 'oh, shit, weird.' Even just thinking about the other band's they've done collabs with... it such a different fit.  But that why I just see it as same members, different band leader, different vision.

And I'm not sure if I'd ever heard Matt Kelly's vocals? I'm not as familiar with his stuff, what other bands was he in?

And I'm not sure if I'd ever heard Matt Kelly's vocals? I'm not as familiar with his stuff, what other bands was he in?

he's mostly known for The Autumns, but he was also a frequent TSOAF guest, he sings "The Heretic." he has a few other projects such as Minus Music that are also awesome.

i highly recommend The Autumns. they weren't "metal/drone/whatever" by any means, though.