Another newbie Set-up Advice

Room is about 15x15, floor standing, color black or rosewood. not sure about the metal or soft done tweeter, integrated powered sub? school me on this. thanks

all that stuff he said.  You'll get a lot of variety in answers on speakers because of subjective preferences and objective considerations like room size, layout, etc.

for what it's worth, I have been keeping my eye on the Monitor Audio Gold line.  They recently updated the line and you may see some good deals on clearance soon.

I think you should really make an effort to hear as many speakers as you can before you buy. Speakers can sound so different and have such a great effect on the end result of your audio chain.

You won't be able to tell EXACTLY how they'll sound in your system, but at least you'll have an idea of the general sound characteristics. Listen to a lot of brands and models and figure out what kind of sound suites you. Then buy from that sound family.

Thanks... I'll do that. Just need to find dealers here in Orange County California.

I think you should really make an effort to hear as many speakers as you can before you buy. Speakers can sound so different and have such a great effect on the end result of your audio chain.
You won't be able to tell EXACTLY how they'll sound in your system, but at least you'll have an idea of the general sound characteristics. Listen to a lot of brands and models and figure out what kind of sound suites you. Then buy from that sound family.

Are all Best Buy Magnolias as shitty as ours? They have zero things in stock, their turntables aren't set up, and they know nothing about the gear they have on display.

Not all, but I imagine there are many, many like that.

They provide an isolated listening experience. Bring a CD with some favorite songs and switch speakers on the fly. It's crazy how bad some speakers sound sometimes. When I was with a friend who was demoing some bookshelves I could believe how poor the Focals sounded. I wondered aloud to the sales guy how they sold any of them. He agreed, so I guess we were hearing the same thing.