Is my tonearm too heavy?

I have a new Pro-Ject debut carbon with an Ortofon 2m red. For some reason I've been noticing what look like light surface scratches on some of my records. Not all over but just like one or two small chunks of space. For example-from the outside where the needle drops to about an inch or so into the record(or various other areas). I really don't see how this TT would be harming my records and my old cheap Audio Technica not harming them. I have taken a lot if time and balanced and re-balanced the tone arm. The counter weight is around 18.5, I think the range is 15-20. Is this normal wear I've just never noticed? Let me know what's up.

Maybe not so much the balance, but the not so precise counterweight setting. I have a fairly nice table, and their directions on setting the counterweight put it at 1.7g when it was supposed to be 2.2g.

Yeah the directions for mine said 17.5, but it wasn't enough and skipped around a bit. Ortofon site says 15-20, so I figured 18.5 would be good.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but there's not really anything you could do to make lines, scratches, or chunks in your records without obvious physical abuse.

Its probably more likely scuffs from the paper inner sleeves when you are taking the records out and putting them back in the sleeves.

Sad as it sounds but there is a right and a wrong way to take a record out or put it back in a paper sleeve.

You can puff out the paper sleeves to stop them dragging on the records and it's probably caused by static so if you can't get rid of the static then get better inner sleeves like the poly lined ones.

I know it's probably not the primary concern when listening to records, but how do they sound?

They sound fine. I have noticed this new TT can bring out pops and crackles, but if the record is clean, no problems.

Its probably more likely scuffs from the paper inner sleeves when you are taking the records out and putting them back in the sleeves.

You can puff out the paper sleeves to stop them dragging on the records and it's probably caused by static so if you can't get rid of the static then get better inner sleeves like the poly lined ones.

Yeah I've been planning on replacing my paper sleeves with poly lined.

I just did thi

They sound fine. I have noticed this new TT can bring out pops and crackles, but if the record is clean, no problems.

Yeah I've been planning on replacing my paper sleeves with poly lined.

It's probably just scuffs from the paper sleeves as noted above. 

I recently went through the process of resleeving all my records.  Now each new record gets cleaned and goes in a new inner sleeve and placed behind the jacket in a fresh outer sleeve.  Pretty happy so far.