Questions about Washington DC and Baltimore

gabrielM

Hey everyone, I'm spending the 6-9th in DC and one of those days I'll also be checking out Baltimore. I had a few questions that maybe the locals could help me with. I'm on a tight budget so any help is appreciated. I'll also have a rental car.

What is the independent community for both? Something like Little Five Points in Atlanta or Wicker Park in Chicago where there's a bunch of independently owned shops. Coffee, record stores, used book stores, etc.

Best free attractions in both? I know DC offers a lot of free things to do and I'll be taking advantage of those like the zoo, the art museums, the monuments, and even passing by the white house. Also know of an Einstein monument that I want to check out.

Best Museums for both, free or not. Best art galleries. Best murals to see and enjoy. If I remember correctly, the very great Steven Powers did some mural work along the front of a very long line of abandoned houses somewhere in Baltimore. I have the link saved somewhere.

What are some of the out of the ordinary things to see/do/experience in either city? Things that google wouldn't show up on a list of the usual tourist attractions?

Best record stores for music of the absolutepunk scene/style, having cassettes would be cool, too.

Best comic book stores for both?

Best donut shops for both? From my research it seems like there isn't much in terms of donuts in Baltimore so I think I'll be checking out Fracture Prune on my way into the city from DC.

Best general cheap eats for both. Something that isn't fancy or overly expensive but still specific to the location like Hot Doug's was in Chicago. Anything from best mexican food to specific brunches or diners. Best recommendations.

Lastly, any heads up tips, can't miss things to see/do?

Thanks so much. I really appreciate any help I can get.

I've lived here for two months, so I don't have a lot of info on the area.   Regarding independent community, I've yet to find one.  There aren't a lot of local band spots to play, which is kind of a bummer.  

District Donut is the jam.  Rocket Bar in China Town and Big Hunt in Dupont Circle are both awesome bars, if you're into that sorta thing. 

If you go to Silver Spring; Quarry House has legit wings and a stellar whiskey selection and a couple of decent record stores a block away.  

Last note, if you're looking to be thrifty then good luck, this place is killing my bank account.  

In DC all the Smithsonian Museums are free. I am not sure what you're into, but i recommend the Natural History Museum, Hirshorn and Freer-Sackler. The Hirshorn is modern art and they usually have interesting temporary exhibits. The Freer has a mix of "classical art" with a large collection of Asian art. The Air and Space Museum is cool if you like airplanes and space stuff. Most of the major monuments are on the Mall and within walking distance of the museums. I like the Roosevelt memorial - it's past the Lincoln, but worth the hike. I would also recommend Ford's Theatre and the adjacent Petersen House (where Lincoln died) - they're near Chinatown. If you can get into the Capitol for a tour it's worth it and so is a walk around the library of Congress. There are some pay museum as well, ranging from art to things like the Spy Museum.

There are some decent records stores around U-Street and Adams Morgan - Joint Custody, Crooked Beat, Smash, Red Onion, Som. etc. It can get pricey to eat, but there is a big variety. Probably more Ethiopian places than any city in the country. You asked about Mexican, you're more likely to find Salvadoran masquerading as Mexican, but it's still good.

In Baltimore, i would recommend the Visionary Art Museum, which is near the inner harbor.

In DC all the Smithsonian Museums are free. I am not sure what you're into, but i recommend the Natural History Museum, Hirshorn and Freer-Sackler. The Hirshorn is modern art and they usually have interesting temporary exhibits. The Freer has a mix of "classical art" with a large collection of Asian art. The Air and Space Museum is cool if you like airplanes and space stuff. Most of the major monuments are on the Mall and within walking distance of the museums. I like the Roosevelt memorial - it's past the Lincoln, but worth the hike. I would also recommend Ford's Theatre and the adjacent Petersen House (where Lincoln died) - they're near Chinatown. If you can get into the Capitol for a tour it's worth it and so is a walk around the library of Congress. There are some pay museum as well, ranging from art to things like the Spy Museum.

There are some decent records stores around U-Street and Adams Morgan - Joint Custody, Crooked Beat, Smash, Red Onion, Som. etc. It can get pricey to eat, but there is a big variety. Probably more Ethiopian places than any city in the country. You asked about Mexican, you're more likely to find Salvadoran masquerading as Mexican, but it's still good.

In Baltimore, i would recommend the Visionary Art Museum, which is near the inner harbor.

Adams Morgan is my favorite section of DC. Also, there's a Mellow Mushroom there and that place rules. If you dig pizza, definitely hit them up.

I live off H Street NE and theres a bunch of cool bars and restaurants down near the end of it. Adams Morgan is cool but the bars definitely get that "college douchebag" vibe. 

Definitely check out the Smithsonian. If you're looking for venues, Gypsy Sally's, Rock & Roll Hotel, Black Cat, Comet Ping Pong are all cool. If you happen to be in Baltimore on Friday, the Pietasters are playing.