General Tech Discussion

I figure we can use this as a catch all thread for general tech chatter, stuff that probably doesn't need it's own thread.

A buddy at work showed me an app today called Fyuse. It's still in beta. It's basically Instagram for panoramic photos but your followers can manipulate the view. I wonder if Facebook will try to acquire them and implement this feature into IG if they don't straight up steal it.

On a related topic Twitter will now allow users to DM other users who don't follow them. In my opinion Twitter already has a huge problem with spam, I use it heavily and I get bombarded with 'check out my mixtape' DMs daily. I can only imagine this will make spam much more annoying.

While we're talking about privacy it looks like Google will now allow you to download your entire Search archive or wipe it completely. I'm a little shocked they'd use server space to conserve this stuff. I'm also positive I've Google some very embarrassing things in the past 14+ years so I definitely would like to opt-into having it wiped completely and starting with a clean slate!

I'm in. I work as a resource teacher supporting other teachers with all things assistive technology. I've gone almost completely Google Apps at work, and even with my personal stuff. It's hard to imagine ever really going back to Microsoft Office again, other than a few specific uses. 

I'm in. I work as a resource teacher supporting other teachers with all things assistive technology. I've gone almost completely Google Apps at work, and even with my personal stuff. It's hard to imagine ever really going back to Microsoft Office again, other than a few specific uses.

As someone who's heavily invested in the Google ecosystem I agree. Keep is my favorite app ever.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xander.discogsmobile

It's for android, but it works in conjunction w discogs. I'm trying it out. So far, so good. Main reason of trying it out is the 'scan barcode' feature.

Added it to my wishlist.

I like using Deadformat for my collection though. Can you search and buy through it? That would be a cool feature.

Added it to my wishlist.

I like using Deadformat for my collection though. Can you search and buy through it? That would be a cool feature.

I gave it a shot because the barcode scanner sounded promising and I figured this tool could finally push me into digitally organizing my collection. I tried it on 10 LPs and nothing came up with results. I can see this being helpful to those who have already constructed a database on Discogs but if you're going in fresh like I am, it doesn't seem anymore ergonomic than a PC.

i didnt look into this app, but just reading about it, reminds me of the this lastfm vinyl scrobbler app someone put out. you could just type the barcode or number of the vinyl and it would i believe go into discogs and pull those tracks and scrobble them...its just kinda weird because it did the whole album right away..it was buggy i didnt use for than a day. 

but seriously, if i could scrobble my vinyl...

• 5 months later...

Has anyone played around with Raspberry Pi? I am thinking of getting one to tinker around with, possibly making a low-cost music streaming/playing setup for my headphones. Found a relatively cheap Pi Dac that could work.

I've seen people do really cool things with those. There's photos floating around of a dude who housed one in an old NES controller and uses it for emulators.

Speaking of Nintendo, and "retro" gaming, I recently got a Gameboy Micro off eBay. Been hunting one down for a decent price for years! Thing showed up and and the right shoulder button wouldn't work. I was able to fix it myself and the seller gave me a partial refund. Extremely happy with it now!

Has anyone played around with Raspberry Pi? I am thinking of getting one to tinker around with, possibly making a low-cost music streaming/playing setup for my headphones. Found a relatively cheap Pi Dac that could work.

I plan on doing this soon. I currently just use an airport express to stream, but want to be able to stream hi res files to my system.

I'm going to make an attempt to put a system together soon. Will update with my progress.

Are you planning on using the hifiberry DAC? I'm planning on getting this, since I already have a decent optical DAC in the Schiit Modi.

Are you planning on using the hifiberry DAC? I'm planning on getting this, since I already have a decent optical DAC in the Schiit Modi.

I am going to try for the Hifiberry DAC+ - I have a Modi too but it's part of my work setup, and this will be part of my secondary/headphone setup.