SLAYER apreesh thread

We're almost the same age. I'm 32 now. My dad picked me up from my first hardcore/punk show...I must have been about 15 or so...it was an Endpoint show.

yea, those were the good ole' days.. almost made me wish i lived in California (my neighbor was from Cali and always talked about Cali bands). I still have just about every flyer i collected from 86'- 98' for shows that i went to or that my friends from Cali sent me (most people from bands that i'd write too).

controversial opinion: reign in blood is really not that good a record. it's fun in a jokey sort of "haha, these guys take themselves WAY too seriously" kinda way... but musically it is really not that good. i mean, sure, the dudes can play faster than anyone. and i won't lie, every once and a while i toss it on and have a good time. but musically they're just on the same level as brittney spears in terms of depth. and new slayer is BAD, like WAY BAD. anybody see their appearance on the rollins show? atrocious.
you wanna have a good laugh? look up the lyrics to that song. hey tom araya, i bet you have a lot of fun talking shit about religion? too bad you're a fucking CATHOLIC.

blah, just give me iron maiden.

how old are you? did you listen to this when it came out or did you listen to this late???

you do know it's voted by most people as probably one of the best thrash/speed metal albums by fans and critcs alike... of all time. Not to mention they are one of the most influential of their time. They did to speed/thrash what black sabbath did to rocknroll/metal.

so, just b/c other people like it means i should too? i'm not doubting it's importance, i'm not discrediting it's influence, all i'm saying is i don't think it's that good.

We're almost the same age. I'm 32 now. My dad picked me up from my first hardcore/punk show...I must have been about 15 or so...it was an Endpoint show.

Juan, Control and I should start the 'old as fuck' club on these boards.

I'm 33.

Back to Slayer: 'Angel of Death' was such a white supremacist anthem that Public Enemy sampled the guitar riff. I think most people understood that the lyrics and imagery were just part of the general image that Slayer was trying to depict. The brutality of the lyrics augmented the brutal (for its time) music. It was all somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Too bad a lot of the meathead metal kids of the time didn't understand this.

how old are you? did you listen to this when it came out or did you listen to this late???

you do know it's voted by most people as probably one of the best thrash/speed metal albums by fans and critcs alike... of all time. Not to mention they are one of the most influential of their time. They did to speed/thrash what black sabbath did to rocknroll/metal.

so, just b/c other people like it means i should too? i'm not doubting it's importance, i'm not discrediting it's influence, all i'm saying is i don't think it's that good.

you put REIGN In BLOOD and SLayer on PAR with Britney Spears.

if u didn't like Reigh In Blood, just say it wasn't your cup of tea, but to say that their music is a joke and compare it to some recent pop star who can't sing for shit, and doesnt even write her own music and is strictly a singer is just blasphemy.

you also say that Tom Araya having fun talking shit about religion when He didnt even write the lyrics. Those are King's Lyrics. And Araya knows that those lyrics don't change his mind on his faith, and that he knows to keep his faith and his music seperate. Nothin will change that.

you said their music was fun and jokey and they took themselves seriously, which if you've ever met them, they really don't. They have fun and fart and do stupid shit to each other like everyone else.

if you don't like it, then just say you don't like it, but when you try to discredit them by saying stuff like tom araya making fun of religion even though he's catholic, or they take themselves too seriously, or even they are a fun and jokey kind of band, and god forbid say they have as much depth as britney spears, you're gonna get some backlash.. just sayin'

Juan, Control and I should start the 'old as fuck' club on these boards.

I'm 33.

Back to Slayer: 'Angel of Death' was such a white supremacist anthem that Public Enemy sampled the guitar riff. I think most people understood that the lyrics and imagery were just part of the general image that Slayer was trying to depict. The brutality of the lyrics augmented the brutal (for its time) music. It was all somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Too bad a lot of the meathead metal kids of the time didn't understand this.

yea, i never thought of that album as being sympathetic toward nazism or white supremecy as i did just dark and brutal. tongue in cheek is a good way of putting it.

i wonder how many people in this group are actually over the age of 30?

if u didn't like Reigh In Blood, just say it wasn't your cup of tea, but to say that their music is a joke and compare it to some recent pop star who can't sing for shit, and doesnt even write her own music and is strictly a singer is just blasphemy.

you also say that Tom Araya having fun talking shit about religion when He didnt even write the lyrics. Those are King's Lyrics. And Araya knows that those lyrics don't change his mind on his faith, and that he knows to keep his faith and his music seperate. Nothin will change that.

you said their music was fun and jokey and they took themselves seriously, which if you've ever met them, they really don't. They have fun and fart and do stupid shit to each other like everyone else.

if you don't like it, then just say you don't like it, but when you try to discredit them by saying stuff like tom araya making fun of religion even though he's catholic, or they take themselves too seriously, or even they are a fun and jokey kind of band, and god forbid say they have as much depth as britney spears, you're gonna get some backlash.. just sayin'

wow dude, are you IN slayer? you're taking that pretty defensively.

yes, i put them on par with britney spears in terms of musical DEPTH. not TALENT. meaning there's not much too them past intentionally borderline offensive lyrics, and minor variations on the same speed metal riff. sure, those dudes can play fucking fast, and they can shred with the best of them, and dave lombardo is an amazing drummer, but that doesn't mean that they ever deviate from the pattern or actually take musical or stylistic risks. just b/c the dudes in slayer fart doesn't mean they don't take their music way too seriously.

if that's blasphemy, then i'm a blasphemer, but i think it's mostly just stating the obvious.

yes, i put them on par with britney spears in terms of musical DEPTH. not TALENT. meaning there's not much too them past intentionally borderline offensive lyrics, and minor variations on the same speed metal riff. sure, those dudes can play fucking fast, and they can shred with the best of them, and dave lombardo is an amazing drummer, but that doesn't mean that they ever deviate from the pattern or actually take musical or stylistic risks. just b/c the dudes in slayer fart doesn't mean they don't take their music way too seriously.

if that's blasphemy, then i'm a blasphemer, but i think it's mostly just stating the obvious.

Then why click on the thread?

im not taking anything defenseively, in fact i'm so mad, i just ate a box of cinnamon toast crunch out of the box in my anger...

but if you're gonna rag on a band (it doesnt matter who it is) just be sure not to talk about stuff you know nothing about.. you compared slayer to britney spears, that's like comparing a mechanic to someone who just changes your oil... it's not the same...

There's not much to them besides their offensive lyrics and borderline variations of music? They never take risks? Now that just shows your age and the fact that probably weren't listening to them at the time.. but only years after their albums had already been out...

Reign in Blood was a historic record, just 28 minutes of sheer intensity, then came SOUTH OF HEAVEN which was slower in it's intensity, and Araya's intro into song writing. His lyrics were of world events and a personal demons and their ideals rather than religion and war as before. Since then lyrics are usually personal experiences about inner turmoil and such. If that's not depth, i dont' know what is. Their writing style might not be on par with whatever you listen to but to speak of SLAYER not having depth, you might has well stick JOHNNY CASH, any 80's COckrock band, AC/DC, into that mix.

so you are stating the obvious? that you know nothing of the band... vague statements don't prove your point...music is music and just because it's fast and heavy doesnt mean it doesnt have depth. SOrta like comparing Stevie Ray Vaughan to HARDCORE bands like Los Crudos. Just because they are fast, doesnt mean they have no depth...

sorry dude, i didn't mean to run over your dog, i'll buy you a new one.

how about you buy me a box of cinammon toast crunch since i ate the other one in anger :P

seriously, though you don't go into a thread about a band talking shit and then expect nothing from it.. i'm only arguing to argue, don't think i am intentionally angry... at least i hope you don't think i'm angry...lol

sorry dude, i didn't mean to run over your dog, i'll buy you a new one.

how about you buy me a box of cinammon toast crunch since i ate the other one in anger :P

seriously, though you don't go into a thread about a band talking shit and then expect nothing from it.. i'm only arguing to argue, don't think i am intentionally angry... at least i hope you don't think i'm angry...lol

I SAID OVER-EASY!!!!!!!

*smashes plate*

oh, i wasn't expecting nothing from it. but you misunderstood what i was trying to get at a little bit. also, you kinda have to just accept the fact that i don't like slayer that much, and i can criticize their shitty lyrics as much as i want, no matter who writes them, i think they're hokey. no level of explanation is going to change that. seriously, that song cult is fucking SHITTY.

oh, i wasn't expecting nothing from it. but you misunderstood what i was trying to get at a little bit. also, you kinda have to just accept the fact that i don't like slayer that much, and i can criticize their shitty lyrics as much as i want, no matter who writes them, i think they're hokey. no level of explanation is going to change that. seriously, that song cult is fucking SHITTY.

i can accept the fact that you don't like them..

but your statements are totally naive and you made them without any knowledge of the band, the lyrics or the content, and just judged them from a song you saw on the ROLLINS show of all places. it's like judging Nirvana from a live performance you saw on mtv. I did not misunderstand anything. you made your points known and they were countered. It's not my fault i give a better argument than THEY SUCK or THEY HAVE SHITTY LYRICS. haha..

im done arguing now..

Im curious as too what bands you listen too?

I have a copy of the Japanese release of Reign In Blood with the obi strip still on. Not the coolest, but definitely worth 10$ cool.

I used to have a copy of 'seasons on the abyss' on cd that came in this clear plastic bag. the CD itself slipped into the bag, which was filled with fake blood, little skulls, and pentagrams. fucking awesome.