Just bought a Technics SL-BD27, advice?

So my vinyl collection has grown and all I've had was a Crosley (don't hate me, it was before I knew any better) and I've been in the market for something that at least wouldn't destroy my records, while on a budget. I found this Technics with a brand new cartridge and couldn't pass it up. I have a receiver, and from what I've read, these turntables don't seem to need a preamp. It runs nice and quiet. Anything else I need to do before I start spinning?

The one I have is actually and audio/video receiver (my dad used to use if for our home theatre system) it's an RCA STAV-3870. I haven't seen anywhere thay says if it has one or not, so I think im gonna have to buy one. Does it matter if it's an audio and video receiver or am I gonna have to get one strictly for audio?

Someone cleverer than I with this should be able to write an automatic script for that shouldn't they?

I've read the thread. I have the receiver and speakers. I know some turntables have built in pre amps. The thread doesn't answer my questions specially, like about the technics turntable or rca receiver. If you're annoyed by me asking questions and looking for advice, then don't say anything?

I've read the thread. I have the receiver and speakers. I know some turntables have built in pre amps. The thread doesn't answer my questions specially, like about the technics turntable or rca receiver. If you're annoyed by me asking questions and looking for advice, then don't say anything?

Some very kind people (aka not me) spend a fair bit of their time helping people out who have legitimate issues/questions, if you just breeze in having invested zero effort to try to solve your own issues and demand their time, it's disrespectful to those people and that bothers me/others. 

It's pretty clear (evidence: "I don't need a preamp", AVR question) that you did not spend much time (if any) on the Slinch's very good starter guide (linked above) which is a requirement to start this sort of thread.

Some very kind people (aka not me) spend a fair bit of their time helping people out who have legitimate issues/questions, if you just breeze in having invested zero effort to try to solve your own issues and demand their time, it's disrespectful to those people and that bothers me/others.

It's pretty clear (evidence: "I don't need a preamp", AVR question) that you did not spend much time (if any) on the Slinch's very good starter guide (linked above) which is a requirement to start this sort of thread.

Great evidence, except for that I never said "I don't need a preamp". I said I think might have to buy one. And I have read the thread, multiple times. Again, it doesn't answer my specific questions.

Here's a thread you obviously missed, which is one you're supposed to read before posting also. http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/75379-rules-guidelines-for-turntables-other-board/#entry1237046

These questions appear as new threads many many times and it can get just a bit grating to answer the same questions over and over. Your particular models of equipment might not be mentioned in Slinch's excellent thread but there are a lot of general rules in there that cover your kit mentioned more than once and google will answer the rest for you as it is just the same or very similar to a lot of other kit.

Once you have a bit more knowledge you will see that you have asked exactly the same questions that many others have asked and some of us have answered many many times, there are only so many different ways you can say the same things especially about AVR's and phono stages.

I'm too tired to keep reading the thrust and parry of this rapier like wit so the answers to your specific questions are:

Yes the TT needs a phono stage (sometimes called a phono pre amp or incorrectly just a pre amp) between it and your AVR. The TT is too old to need one and your AVR is too new but not new enough, all hifi has the same signal level except a turntable hence the need for a phono stage which was built into all amps when vinyl was the daddy and are being put back in now as it's in fashion again, in the middle amps did not have them.

An AVR is not ideal for audio but it will do a job in stereo mode.

What you have is not the greatest kit but not the worst, it will do just fine as a start and if set up properly should sound perfectly adequate, plus at least it isn't a Crosley or similar so have some plus points for that.

Now if you wouldn't mind putting all your toys back securely into your pram and your claws back away I can go back to my nice pint of beer and music.

Great evidence, except for that I never said "I don't need a preamp". I said I think might have to buy one. And I have read the thread, multiple times. Again, it doesn't answer my specific questions.

Thing you said:

from what I've read, these turntables don't seem to need a preamp.

These questions appear as new threads many many times and it can get just a bit grating to answer the same questions over and over. Your particular models of equipment might not be mentioned in Slinch's excellent thread but there are a lot of general rules in there that cover your kit mentioned more than once and google will answer the rest for you as it is just the same or very similar to a lot of other kit.

Once you have a bit more knowledge you will see that you have asked exactly the same questions that many others have asked and some of us have answered many many times, there are only so many different ways you can say the same things especially about AVR's and phono stages.

I'm too tired to keep reading the thrust and parry of this rapier like wit so the answers to your specific questions are:

Yes the TT needs a phono stage (sometimes called a phono pre amp or incorrectly just a pre amp) between it and your AVR. The TT is too old to need one and your AVR is too new but not new enough, all hifi has the same signal level except a turntable hence the need for a phono stage which was built into all amps when vinyl was the daddy and are being put back in now as it's in fashion again, in the middle amps did not have them.

An AVR is not ideal for audio but it will do a job in stereo mode.

What you have is not the greatest kit but not the worst, it will do just fine as a start and if set up properly should sound perfectly adequate, plus at least it isn't a Crosley or similar so have some plus points for that.

Now if you wouldn't mind putting all your toys back securely into your pram and your claws back away I can go back to my nice pint of beer and music.

I appreciate your advice. And I see your point, about people asking the same questions. But the thing is, people don't have to answer if they don't want to. If someone actually wants to help, they won't mind answering. Isn't that why this topic is here, for questions and advice? If people are tired of answering the same questions then they simply don't have to. I did look around on vc and google, but with little success. I'm on vacation and not exactly glued to my phone long enough to read through thread after thread just to (maybe) get an answer that might help. My best bet was to post and ask to get a direct answer from people who know what they are talking about. I apologize if me looking for advice in the TURNTABLES AND AUDIO EQUIPMENT forum on VINYL collective about a turntable was wrong.

It's unlikely that your turntable has a built in phono preamp.  It's also unlikely that the AV receiver you've unwisely decided to use for your amplifier will have one built in, either.  There are four main components necessary to play vinyl: a turntable, a phono preamp, an amplifier, and  speakers.  Every link in this chain is important.  Good luck with your new set up.

It's unlikely that your turntable has a built in phono preamp. It's also unlikely that the AV receiver you've unwisely decided to use for your amplifier will have one built in, either. There are four main components necessary to play vinyl: a turntable, a phono preamp, an amplifier, and speakers. Every link in this chain is important. Good luck with your new set up.

Thank you. I'll be getting the rest of the necessary equipment soon.