Maui, HI

I was just sharing a story that emphasizes how lame the luau was. I know he doesn't eat meat.

i will say the food for that, in general, isn't great so it is curious but doesn't matter in the end.  the drinks either, they sucked.  it's more of spectacle.  service is good.  entertainment is great.  that's where your money goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Stop at Costco when you are near the airport. Cheap (for us Canadians) booze and snacks! If you like running, a jog along the boardwalk in Kaanapil Beach (5k end to end) is a must in the morning.

That's the plan, and I might just do that run. Early enough so my soul doesn't go up in flames once the sun comes out.

For the beach I would go to Kihei or anywhere along the left side of the stretch of highway South of Lahaina. Also Paia is a cool little town. Have fun, I love this island!

We plan on spending our first day in Paia I think. And we'll be spending a lot of time on the left stretch!

Some great suggestions here. Maui was probably the best vacation I ever had. It's gorgeous and it's nice being able explore the island and feel safe doing so.

Definitely do Mt Haleakala. I'd also recommend doing it early in the vacation as your body is still adjusting to the time change - because you need to wake up reallllllllly early to get there. As others said, dress warm, and I can't emphasize that enough. My wife foolishly thought she'd be comfortable in a light sweatshirt and she was freezing. Also, another beautiful thing about that mountain is how clear the stars and sky are when you're at the top - not something I'm used to in Jersey.

The Road to Hana was also incredible. Pack food for the day and start early to avoid the traffic. I'd also recommend even bringing a change of clothes for the trip; it can get uncomfortable walking around in wet clothes the entire day.

Also, while staying in Lahaina, there's some pretty good snorkeling in front of the Sheraton hotel. That's where I stayed, and at least when I was there, I saw a sea turtle nearly every day.

I'm so jealous...

Some great suggestions here. Maui was probably the best vacation I ever had. It's gorgeous and it's nice being able explore the island and feel safe doing so.

Definitely do Mt Haleakala. I'd also recommend doing it early in the vacation as your body is still adjusting to the time change - because you need to wake up reallllllllly early to get there. As others said, dress warm, and I can't emphasize that enough. My wife foolishly thought she'd be comfortable in a light sweatshirt and she was freezing. Also, another beautiful thing about that mountain is how clear the stars and sky are when you're at the top - not something I'm used to in Jersey.

The Road to Hana was also incredible. Pack food for the day and start early to avoid the traffic. I'd also recommend even bringing a change of clothes for the trip; it can get uncomfortable walking around in wet clothes the entire day.

Also, while staying in Lahaina, there's some pretty good snorkeling in front of the Sheraton hotel. That's where I stayed, and at least when I was there, I saw a sea turtle nearly every day.

I'm so jealous...

Thanks brother!

Just found out today that there is a hurricane at sea and it MAY hit Hawaii. Hoping not!

Really looking forward to our trip. We got an amazing deal on airfare due to having a friend who works at an airline. I'm talking DIRTY cheap. Too good to pass up. 

Still no real plans, other than the comedy show noted above. Planning on exploring as much as we can. Since we're staying in Hana for 2 nights, it'll be some awesome downtime after spending 3 night in Lahaina.

One of my favourite things my gf and I did there was rent scooters and cruise around. We rented them here and cruised around the Lower Honoapiilani road. Stopped at a bunch of different beaches and a few restaurants. There's a great little convenience store with Mexican food (awesome Tamale's,) and the Maui Brewing Company that are all in that same little area. 

I'm so jealous...

That's where we stayed too. Gorgeous hotel, and you get a great view of the cliff diver every night. We were surrounded by sea turtles out there.

Oh, not sure if anyone else has said this, but you have to rent a convertible. There is no point in driving the road to Hana without one.