Putting records in the oven

I'm kinda new to the whole vinyl thing, but when a record is warped, does it not sound as good? and is there any way to flatten them back out?

Warps affect the sound and if they're bad enough they make records unlistenable.

Yes, they can be flattened out, either using expensive record flatteners (these cost around $2000) or using one of the riskier DIY methods (such as putting it in the oven).

i successfully flattened a misfits die die my darling 12" on purple vinyl which was warped and i purchased for it $10. It would throw the tonearm off. I flattened it by using thin plate glass (2 sheets slightly bigger than the vinyl) and set it our in the hot florida sun. kept checking on it and eventually fixed the warp which was originally on a scale of 1 - 10 maybe a 4. Sold that beyotch for $290 in '97 (prolly would have got alot more these days).

So it can be done depending of the severity of the warp.

Bending is no good....i had a HWM/Clairmel 9" test press mailed to me in a flimsy envelope...and they (USPS) shoved it into my mailbox on a nice hot day..warping the lip in 1 spot. tried bendind in down and /SNAP/ a piece broke off.....1 of 8...ruined.

• 2 weeks later...