New Jersey pressing plant to focus on Indie labels/bands

"As profiled in the New York Times, New Jersey plant Independent Record Pressing is building its business to serve small labels that have been shut out by the vinyl pressing demands of major labels. Most promising of all, the plant says it will be able to press 1.5 million records a year once it’s fully running."

http://www.factmag.com/2015/09/15/new-vinyl-pressing-plant-focus-on-independent-record-labels/

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Vampire Weekend a mainstream band? I guess if you're trying to "make a buck"...

"As profiled in the New York Times, New Jersey plant Independent Record Pressing is building its business to serve small labels that have been shut out by the vinyl pressing demands of major labels. Most promising of all, the plant says it will be able to press 1.5 million records a year once it’s fully running."

http://www.factmag.com/2015/09/15/new-vinyl-pressing-plant-focus-on-independent-record-labels/

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Vampire Weekend a mainstream band? I guess if you're trying to "make a buck"...

That's the problem with saying you're going to work with "indie" bands. A lot of people consider The Arcade Fire an indie band, but they're one of the biggest bands in the world right now. Shit's crazy.

I'm not trying to poo poo this venture. I think the more pressing plants that exist the better things will be for us. I also get that sometimes labels or similar businesses take on projects to fund other things that aren't as financially feasible (Epitaph), but this article took a weird turn towards the end.

Edit: I don't think I'm phrasing this example properly.

I'm not trying to poo poo this venture. I think the more pressing plants that exist the better things will be for us. I also get that sometimes labels take on projects to fund other things that aren't as financially feasible (Epitaph), but this article took a weird turn towards the end.

Oh yeah, I'm with you. The more plants the better as far as I'm concerned. But the whole "indie" thing has bothered me for a while now. It's too broad and misused to often.

Oh yeah, I'm with you. The more plants the better as far as I'm concerned. But the whole "indie" thing has bothered me for a while now. It's too broad and misused to often.

Very true. It's basically become a genre and "look". Most of the independent bands I know will say the entire word as to not be confused with what's considered "indie".

Like how the word "emo" got bastardized.

I think "indie" is a bad terminology use here, they really mean independent record label. Vampire Weekend is a major "indie" band, sure but they're signed to XL Recordings, which probably has a bitch of a time getting pressing plants to give them the time of day for how little they have. Where as Arcade Fire is a major "indie" but they're signed to Mercury, a company of Universal. I can't imagine they run into any issues getting something pressed with Universal backing them. 

I think "indie" is a bad terminology use here, they really mean independent record label. Vampire Weekend is a major "indie" band, sure but they're signed to XL Recordings, which probably has a bitch of a time getting pressing plants to give them the time of day for how little they have. Where as Arcade Fire is a major "indie" but they're signed to Mercury, a company of Universal. I can't imagine they run into any issues getting something pressed with Universal backing them.

Arcade Fire is still on Merge as far as I know.