Amazon sold more turntables than any other audio product this Xmas

MLB is the newest version, not sure what changed they made, but they are most likely minor and not going to be noticeable. I'd go with the cheapest one you can find. 

MLB is the newest version, not sure what changed they made, but they are most likely minor and not going to be noticeable. I'd go with the cheapest one you can find. 

There was a $20 difference between the two so I was curious if something would be different before picking one. One says dual magnet and the other says dual moving magnet...

Both are MM carts, so you don't need to worry about that. Main difference seems to be slightly better channel separation and frequency response on the B. I doubt the difference would be noticeable to most people.

• 3 weeks later...

If the extra $50 really makes the difference, I will just wait a bit longer and get the AT440 instead of wanting to upgrade again later. I find that no matter how good a record is pressed, I still get slight sibilance at elevated volumes, although no where near as much as I had with the cart that came with the table. And the low end feels weak to me, though I'm not sure if the music I prefer is recorded that way on vinyl vs. how it sounds on a digital file. The speakers I have now I picked up for $10 from Craigslist, and they run circles around the Sony towers I had before which work better as front end for my home theater receiver.

Sounds like you need to check your cartridge alignment. Before upgrading anything, make sure your rig is set up properly. A new cart wont sound any better if it's not aligned and set-up correctly

Sounds like you need to check your cartridge alignment. Before upgrading anything, make sure your rig is set up properly. A new cart wont sound any better if it's not aligned and set-up correctly

I've double checked it with a gauge and it has the proper overhang, as well as the proper angle. I really don't think it's so much my table as it is my lower end speakers and receiver which I plan to upgrade when possible financially. Changing to the Omega it has now was a huge step up from the old Stanton cart it had when I bought it. A new cart will come after purchasing new speakers and an integrated amplifier.

if it's not alignment which it usually is, I know you've aligned it but there is more than one alignment solution and in very extreme cases you just have to do it by eye and ear.

Other possible options are a phono stage that has too much gain or more likely poor cartridge loading. What is the volume level like compared to CD?

Depends how technical you are but if you research cartridge loading you can add or remove resistance and or capacitance at the phono stage input if that is the problem

if it's not alignment which it usually is, I know you've aligned it but there is more than one alignment solution and in very extreme cases you just have to do it by eye and ear.

Other possible options are a phono stage that has too much gain or more likely poor cartridge loading. What is the volume level like compared to CD?

Depends how technical you are but if you research cartridge loading you can add or remove resistance and or capacitance at the phono stage input if that is the problem

I was thinking along the lines of the phono stage in the receiver as well Allen. I have to adjust the volume up or down around 5 clicks between my digital listening and when it's on the phono stage. I know I want to move to an integrated amp eventually, so a separate phono stage is a planned step along the way as well

That was going to be my next question. There's no audio shops in your area? Most will offer cart alignment.

Sibilance can really ruin the whole experience, so let's get it fixed if we can. Where abouts in SC are you? PM me if you don't want to say on here.

Florence, pretty much right in between Myrtle Beach and Columbia. 

How about Audible Visions?

Premier Sound?

"The Stereo Shop" in MB seems like the right place. Hell, even Best Buy offers home installation. If you are lucky, maybe someone there is knowledgeable enough to either help you out, or refer you to someone who can.

You need someone to confirm your cartridge alignment before you start buying things to correct the problem.

How about Audible Visions?

Premier Sound?

"The Stereo Shop" in MB seems like the right place. Hell, even Best Buy offers home installation. If you are lucky, maybe someone there is knowledgeable enough to either help you out, or refer you to someone who can.

You need someone to confirm your cartridge alignment before you start buying things to correct the problem.

I will look into those places. Not being a driving person doesn't help much either, but I can manage to find someone to take me. Looks like Audible Visions is mostly for home theater and security system installs. It's not far from my house, but have never really noticed it. 

I was thinking along the lines of the phono stage in the receiver as well Allen. I have to adjust the volume up or down around 5 clicks between my digital listening and when it's on the phono stage. I know I want to move to an integrated amp eventually, so a separate phono stage is a planned step along the way as well

different volume levels between digital and phono are quite common and sometimes if there isn't a volume difference it's because the phono stage is over driven to equalise the levels at the expense of quality, hence the question.

5 clicks is probably not the problem.

Sibilance starts at the cart alignment.

Pretty much although if the eq curve is wrong it can add sibilance but that would be because the whole tonal balance has shifted up

I would play around with different alignment types first until you find one that suits your cart and arm. It can be very frustrating but worth the effort and you will learn the effect that changes in different directions and planes have on the stylus.

different volume levels between digital and phono are quite common and sometimes if there isn't a volume difference it's because the phono stage is over driven to equalize the levels at the expense of quality, hence the question.

Pretty much although if the eq curve is wrong it can add sibilance but that would be because the whole tonal balance has shifted up

I would play around with different alignment types first until you find one that suits your cart and arm. It can be very frustrating but worth the effort and you will learn the effect that changes in different directions and planes have on the stylus.

Thank you so very much for the tips and the help you guys :)