places to press records

United had a good price.

Pirate was expensive.

I'm still waiting on musicol, but I think that will be good too.

I'd also like to hear of any negative experiences people have had with these pressing plants.

I've had two bad experiences with United; both times I paid for colored vinyl and they sent me black. They corrected their mistake both times, but it took several months.

I'm considering contacting some bands about vinyl I want to see.

Can someone give me an estimate on about how much it would cost to put out a record?

Anywhere from 100-500 (12"s)

Your best bet is to get 500+ the cost difference typically between say 200 or 500 records is a matter of a couple hundred bucks.

For 500 records including standard full color jackets, 1/1 inserts, plating metal parts etc, would be around 2300 bucks give or take a bit.

On the other hand if it is a record that you think would sell really well, getting 1000 pressed would be around 700 bucks more.

Getting 100 pressed would end up costing you around 8-10 bucks a record, getting 500 would cost around 3.50-4.25 a record.

If you wanted different colors, usually there is a 200 minimum except for black, and the color change is usually a 1-200 dollar charge, plus extra for any custom colors.

If you wanted a high quality record, and money isn't a huge issue, I would deffinitely suggest Pirates Press, as they will do colors as small as 50-100 for only a 100 dollar change over charge, and also do very high quality jackets for fairly cheap.

The only thing that kills you is the shipping. 500+ bucks. Coming from Czech republic.

Bill Smith and Rainbo are also very awesome places to go, but you would have to buy jackets elsewhere (iloveimprint.com is good for jackets)

But the minimum for Bill Smith and Rainbo is 500, and will typically only do 500 of any given color.

United puts out paper thin crappy vinyl, and will probably fuck up your order a couple times, but will fix it, but it will take a LONG time to get your records.

United is pretty much just luck of the draw, sometimes they do a great job, but a lot of times they do a horrible completely shitty job. They seem to screw up orders mostly if your a first time customer.

Sorry for the long reply, but from my perspective, (I've used Rainbo, Bill Smith, URP, and Pirates)

I would go with Pirates, and negotiate with em on jacket stock, and price.

United vinyl is also 120-135 gram, while Pirates standard weight is 160-180 gram, for colored, 150-160 for black.

A tad more expensive for Pirates, but those guys are ace.

I had good luck with Rainbo and they did my jackets. Offered me options for gatefold or a regular jacket, in my case something a little bigger to fit two records. Rainbo also let me pick-up the records, something I was in a unique position to do. I do believe they'll only do 500 lots though. They got it right the first time though, that was nice. I did some CDs with them too so I had some "people."